- Most are considered to possess the fabled Traveller Gene, a mark of guts and prestige. 
- Most merchant princes are captains of their own vessel, a Merchant Vessel.
- It is both a title of prestige and a possibly high profit vocation.
Merchant Princes are first and foremost skilled traders and spacemen, able to traverse the starways and mainworlds of Charted Space selling high and buying low. They can manage starcraft operations, handle crews, balance books & bureaucrats, and haggle prices with shopkeepers. They are capable, effective beings, and not always gentlesophonts. 
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Marc Miller. Merchant Prince (Game Designers Workshop, 1985), TBD.
- Steve Daniels, Jim McLean, Christopher Thrash. Far Trader (Steve Jackson Games, 1999), TBD.
- Bryan Steele. Merchant Prince (Mongoose Publishing, 2010), TBD.
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science