Fringian Heavy Box Trailer
|Heavy Box Trailer|
The Heavy Box Trailer is a type of Ground Car.
Description / Specifications
The Heavy Box Trailer is a large cargo trailer designed to be towed by a Heavy Tractor Unit.
Hull / Suspension
A generally box-shaped hull constructed from alloys and composite materials.
- Length: 24.2m, Width: 3.6m, Height: 4.8m.
- Overall Volume: approximately 418.2m³ (31 dTons).
- Unloaded Weight: 17,900 kg.
The overall volume measures the vehicles maximum dimensions and includes road clearance and the coupling space for the Heavy Tractor Unit. The enclosed volume of the box section is lower.
The vehicle is fitted with a wheeled suspension system mounted on axles.
- The vehicle performs well on metalled surfaces but has a very limited off-road capability.
Power / Transmission
The trailer has "booster" electric motors built into its axles but has no internal power source: the motors draw power from the Tractor Unit that it is coupled to.
The trailer cannot move independently: it must be coupled to a Heavy Tractor Unit.
- Performance as per the Heavy Tractor Unit towing it.
- The trailer attaches to the tractor by way of a traction pin which fits into a "fifth wheel" coupling. The linkages also include power connectors, pressure hoses and control cables.
The trailer has an enclosed cargo hold. The vehicle has basic environmental protection (the hull is weatherproof but is not sealed).
- Cargo Storage: 340m³ (24 dTons).
- Maximum load: 345,000 kg.
- Maximum Gross Weight: 362,900 kg.
Running lights. The vehicle is fitted with proximity sensors and a variety of driver aids.
History / Background
A large commercial trailer for moving bulk loads along road networks.
See also: Vehicles of the Distant Fringe
References & Contributors / Sources
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|