Fringian Heavy Tractor Unit
|Heavy Tractor Unit|
The Heavy Tractor Unit is a type of Ground Car.
Description / Specifications
The Heavy Tractor Unit is a large cargo vehicle designed for commercial use.
Hull / Suspension
A boxy, generally streamlined hull constructed from alloys and composite materials.
- Length: 9.4m (cabin length 3.3m), Width: 3.4m, Height: 3.9m .
- Overall Volume: approximately 121m³ (9 dTons).
- Unloaded Weight: 28,500 kg.
The overall volume measures the vehicles maximum dimensions and includes road clearance. The contained volume of the contoured hull is substantially lower.
The vehicle is fitted with a wheeled suspension system mounted on a series of axles.
- The vehicle performs excellently on metalled surfaces but has a relatively limited off-road capability.
Power / Transmission
A large power plant consisting of fuel cells and batteries. The power plant drives electric motors set into the axles.
- Cruise Speed: 100 kph, Top Speed: 160 kph. Off-road Speed: less than 20 kph.
- Range: 3400 km at Cruise Speed, 3100 km at Top Speed.
The Tractor Unit couples to trailers. These are fitted with a traction pin that fits into a "fifth wheel" coupling mounted on the rear portion of the Tractor. The linkages also include power connectors, pressure hoses and control cables.
- Maximum Gross Towing Weight: 370,000 kg.
Passengers / Cargo
The crew compartment consists of a front mounted enclosed cabin fitted with clear windows and containing three front seats – an additional passenger can be accommodated though such arrangements are cramped. The seating is fitted with safety belts. The vehicle has basic environmental protection (the hull is weatherproof but is not sealed), and is fitted with interior lights and air conditioning. The driver's position is equipped with advanced mechanical controls. An onboard computer system manages the vehicle and a console / heads-up display provides data such as velocity and component status.
The onboard facilities include a crew bunk, a tiny galley and a fresher. A locker contains tools, equipment and safety clothing.
- Cargo Storage: 7.5m³ (0.5 dTons).
- Maximum Load: restricted by internal volume only.
Headlights and running lights. A small (typically 200 km range) radio communicator and navigation system. The vehicle is fitted with proximity sensors and a variety of driver aids.
History / Background
A commercial vehicle available in a variety of body styles. The Heavy Tractor can tow a variety of loads, including the Heavy Box Trailer, the Heavy Flatbed Trailer, and the Heavy Tanker Trailer. Vehicles of this type often have distinctive livery.
See also: Vehicles of the Distant Fringe
References & Contributors / Sources
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science