Careers are part of the game mechanic
- For usage within the game context, including lists of potential Careers, see Vocation.
The concept of a Career was created as part of the Classic Traveller version and has continued to be a fundamental of the character generation system ever since.
Over time, the core careers of the Characters and Combat book have been developed into sub-specialities and restated by the many expansions and revisions.
The fundamental concept of character generation in those years before that character starts adventuring.
The process can be an end in itself and can absorb many hours should they be available.
Each Player Character is created and then passed through a series of [Career]s, entry to which and survival in which is not guaranteed. Thus the characters rarely turn out as the player hoped - and may turn out far more interesting than expected.
References & Contributors (Sources)
- Marc Miller. Characters and Combat (Game Designers Workshop, 1977), .
- Frank Chadwick, Dave Nilsen. Traveller: The New Era (Game Designers Workshop, 1993), .
- Gareth Hanrahan. Core Rulebook (Mongoose Publishing, 2008), .
- Matthew Sprange. Core Rule Book (Mongoose Publishing, 2016), .
- Marc Miller. T5 Core Rules (Far Future Enterprises, 2013), .
- Author & Contributor: BackworldTraveller