- 1 Translation
- 2 Links (2019)
- 3 Links (2018)
- 4 Links (2017)
- 5 Notes (2019)
- 6 Notes (2017)
- 7 Notes (2016)
- EXTERNAL LINK: Does anyone know the origin of the concept of 'tech level'? The earliest SF reference I know is in Star Trek, the episode "Spocks Brain" broadcast 20th Sept 1968- does the idea appear earlier in SF literature? does it come from a non-fiction source? (Of course the Traveller game developed Tech Level in great detail, but I'm wondering where the concept came from?)
- EXTERNAL LINK: With how much the world has changed since Traveller and the things it was based on were published, how do you codify/regiment the tech levels in your game to create an environment that continues your willing suspension of disbelief?
- EXTERNAL LINK: I can't remember, what is the max TL of current day Earth?
- EXTERNAL LINK: My question is: Do most of you active players stick with the rules as they are or do you adjust for contemporary tech advancements?
- EXTERNAL LINK: Is there a decent technology level timeline for the _Traveller_ universe anywhere?
- EXTERNAL LINK: How to handle large differences in tech levels in a single trading block?
- EXTERNAL LINK: I was thinking the Tech Level 15 in the Imperium was using a sense of scale that the size afforded. Are there any minor races/local cultures within the Empire that could spearhead more rapid tech development?
- EXTERNAL LINK: Would you consider TL 8 beginning at 2000 AD using Earth as a rough basis?
- EXTERNAL LINK: CotI: Sustainable Tech Levels?
- EXTERNAL LINK: Techgrad: German TL's by Peter Keel
- EXTERNAL LINK: David's: Traveller vs GURPS Tech Levels
- EXTERNAL LINK: Placing tech levels is not so easy? The science we have and fantasy science seem to be very similar in level..
- EXTERNAL LINK: An Analysis of Tech Levels by Ken Pick
- EXTERNAL LINK: Kardaschev Scale explained
- EXTERNAL LINK: What is the most imaginative science fiction concept you have ever come across?
- EXTERNAL LINK: MWM comment
- EXTERNAL LINK: As I understand it, the TL given in the UWP refers to what can be produced locally, and therefore higher tech equipment would depend on interstellar trade. Has anyone written rules to quantify this?
- EXTERNAL LINK: Interview with Orson Scott Card, Co-Creator of Extinct
- EXTERNAL LINK: Spacecraft – Low Tech
- EXTERNAL LINK: Spacecraft – High Tech
- EXTERNAL LINK: What is the highest tech level world you have created/encountered?
- EXTERNAL LINK: Technology Level Chronology
T20 The Traveller's Handbook. Pgs. 194-195
TBD have helped change our country for the better – academically, scientifically, economically, politically, militarily, medically, legally, technologically, and in so many other ways.
Codes by TL Epoch
- Post-Technological Period
Keelian Techgrad (Google Autotranslation)
The new Techgrad has values from 0 to 99.
- A techgrad of 0 means the absolute absence of even the slightest technology, while 99 is a technological level that we can hardly imagine.
|TL / TG||Remarks|
|TL-0 / TG-0||No technology, no manufactured tools in use.|
|TL-1 / TG-1||First produced stone tools, wooden rods, etc. are used.|
|TL-1 / TG-2||Fire Is Discovered, Small Stone Tools Are Possible|
|TL-1 / TG-3||Advanced stone tool creation possible, animals can tamed and bred, spears, slingshots and culls are the Remost developed weapons armor from animal products are possible, Flow and trees appear.|
|TL-1 / TG-5||Agriculture is introduced but as a complement to hunting and collecting needed. Calendar based on easily visible Periodic natural events are introduced. Rolls and wheels Used for transport purposes. Fishing boats for four and more People show up, arithmetic can pop p. Become the first time Fabric dresses worn.|
|TL-2 / TG-7||metal is melted and processed for the first time, alloys softer Metals appear Potter's rad appears and the plough revolutionized Agriculture. Glass and wine are introduced, ships by coast And lakes are possible, swords and daggers are made of soft metals The highest wrapped weapons. Short arches with not very much train Show up. Valley lights are introduced.|
|TL-2 / TG-8||Medicine and astronomy as organized sciences are possible. Engineering can develop; Bottled brews and levers are Available. Hard metals such as iron are melted. Strong arches Available and used in combat. Metal armor kicking And cards are introduced. Birds, reptiles and others Life forms can be tamed. Simple sailing ships appear.|
|TL-2 / TG-9||Timekeeping instruments such as solar and water clocks are emerging. Widespread field irrigation is possible. Platz-based numerical Systems such as the decimal system can be introduced. Large buildings Can appear for the first time, water transport lines and Aqueducts are possible. Astronomy is fully developed. Sailing ships with multiple sails are possible; The first ships to Oceans can be crossed. The use of hard Metals for tools is widely used. Metallic payment Units can be introduced.|
|TL-3 / TG-10||Pharmacy and surgery are systemated; Medicinal herbs and Simple drugs can be catalogued and produced. Aqueducts And tunnels ensure water supply in large cities. Hard metals are common in households. Turning benches, paper Candles can be introduced. Bridges, dams, aqueducts, tunnels Roads are being built widely.|
|TL-3 / TG-12||Specialized surgery, like treating the gray star, is Possible. The basic anatomy of most living beings, with all their Important subsystems are understood and enable diagnosis And treatment of many ailments. Gears and screws allow the Use of wind and hydro power. Mills are common everywhere and the refining of sugar is possible.|
|TL-4 / TG-13||The ink is refined and enables the printing of the printing Wooden climbing. Acids, mechanical watches and the magnetic compass will Possible. Alcohol is distilled for disinfection purposes. The Black powder can be introduced and makes cannons possible. The Biology develops a classification of animals on their Function and no longer their appearance. Glass mirrors are introduced. orrective glasses are possible, but not very effective.|
|TL-4 / TG-15||metal tters are used to print; A printing press is Possible. Simple firearms are possible. [Ballistic invented]. Steam power becomes possible. Magnetism and electricity will be included Connected. Cutted glass process is introduced. Telescopes and Microscopes are possible. The Basic Physical Laws Be understood. The composition of matter from atoms is Proposed and possibly accepted. The barometer is Introduced and a simple weather forecast is|
|TL-5 / TG-16||muskets are introduced, simple rifles are possible. Metallurgical advances allow precise machine parts. Efficient Steam engines are possible if an energy source is available That is better than wood. Clocks and field engravers are possible. Anesthesia is introduced into surgery. The speed of light Recognized as the highest speed. Gravity and low tide Flood are understood. Plant extracts and essences are Possible; The vaccination is invented. An Industrial Revolution Can begin.|
|TL-5 / TG-17||firearms greatly improved. Artillery is now very reliable; Since explosive projectiles are developed replace these the rifle As the primary cause of death on the battlefield. The first electric Batteries are possible. Steamships, telegraphs and simple Addition machines pop up. Railways are possible. The Cell structure is explained. The thermodynamic laws will be Found. Ignition woods appear. The Sähm|
|TL-6 / TG-19||syringes are used for injections for the first time. Tungsten steel Will be introduced. The internal combustion engine becomes possible. The photosysnesis is understood. Antiseptic surgery will Developed. Single-action revolver, repetitive rifles, hand-operated Machine guns and recound-blading machine guns are possible. Bicycles, telephones, airships and submarines are available.|
|TL-6 / TG-20||transmission of sounds by radio is possible (voicekom). Simple Planes show up. Radioactivity is understood. The Discovery of relativity is possible. Automobiles are reliable Enough to replace tier-drawn carriages. The sonar is introduced. Brain surgery successful. Automatic pistols and machine Gun show up. Films, including sound films, are possible.|
|TL-6 / TG-21||tanks become an effective war tool. Metal aircraft with Jet engines are possible. Radar is used. The electron Microscope, vaccinations against viral diseases and nuclear energy (Spalt reactors) become possible. Television is presented. Automatic rifles show up. Plastics are popping up. Large computer Will be put into operation. Helicopters can be built. The Ballpoint pen is invented. Antimatter is discovered.|
|TL-7 / TG-22||satellites, lightweight automatic weapons, integrated switching Circles, simple artificial hearts and other organs appear. Robot samples can be sent to other planets of the solar system Be. Genetic engineering is being developed slowly. Wire guided ammunition Is possible. Sea vessels of up to 400,000 tonnes will be built. Simple space stations are possible. The home computer is used for Households affordable. The neutron bomb is being developed. The Artificial insemination becomes possible. Solar cells become|
|TL-7 / TG-23||Doppler radar, genetic engineering, international computer networks, Laser-controlled ammunition and compact discs become possible. Aircraft Can be controlled by computer. A reusable Space transport system (shuttle) can be developed, and It allows the operation of a permanently occupied space station. Trials with nuclear fusion can be made. First cloning. The first wave power plants are popping up.|
|TL-7 / TG-24||hovercraft tanks are possible. Cloning organs, computer controlled Even entertaining houses and holographic television will be Possible. High-speed aircraft can reach Mach 20 and Used for space transport. Limited nuclear fusion is Possible. Superconductivity technology widely used. Fire control helmets Laser weapons are changing the battlefield. Bemant expeditions To other planets are possible. Special goods are used on Space stations produced. First deep hydropower plants to be built (Ammonium heat exchangers). 23 Doppler|
|TL-8 / TG-25||For the first time, Personal Laser Weapons are possible. The use of Robots are common in factories. Own supercomputers Limited artificial intelligence without any actual ability to learn. First cyberware emerges. Slow interstellar trips are in the Area of possibility. Military landing craft are carried out by Hovercrafts replaced. Fish farming is practised underground.|
|TL-8 / TG-27||nanotechnology is used in surgery. Interplanetary bases Can be created. Nuclear fusion is widespread. On Spacecraft are being tried nuclear and ion drives. Against Laser weapons appear melting and reflector tanks. Holographic Memory crystals are discovered. Become robot pilots for aircraft Tested. Mines on other planets, planetoids and moons Can be erected.|
|TL-9 / TG-28||Cryogenesis (cold sleep) has become possible, but is still Very uncertain. This means that slow flights to other solar systems Definitely possible. Robots are used to combat disasters (Fire brigade, nuclear disasters). Genetic engineering has now The genes of many species catalogs and enables breeding New plant species. Nanotchnik enables easy Installation of cybernetic implants (cyberware) in the human Bodies, blind people, lame, deaf people, etc. no longer exist -at least not in technical countries.|
|TL-9 / TG-29||First steps towards engraving technology are taken. Hovercrafts Are very common. Constantly manned commercial space bases Exist. In orbit, mirrors can be used to illuminate the dark Hemisphere. Cyberware is becoming widespread Used. Huge radio telescopes are installed in orbit.|
|TL-9 / TG-30||gravan drives are common; Gliders, engraving transporters and Grave tanks are revolutionizing urban planning, road construction and battlefield. Spaceports are springing up on the surfaces of planets. Trials with Weather control programs are made (mirrors, magnetic fields, Gravfelder).|
|TL-10 / TG-31||Weather control is possible conditionally. For the first time, gas giants will Shaken off. Base on most planets and moons of the solar system Possible and partly realized.|
|TL-10 / TG-32||For the first time, practical protective screens, so-called overloading screens, are appearing.|
|TL-10 / TG-33||portable plasma rifles are developed|
|TL-11 / TG-34||attempts towards hyperjump are being made; One examines the So-called wormholes.|
|TL-11 / TG-35||hyperjump engines are possible and enable interstellars Travel and trade relations.|
|TL-13 / TG-40||Imperial average.|
|TL-15 / TG-48||high of the Empire. The black sign pops up and The use of antimatter as an energy source enables the use of antimatter.|
|TL-16 / TG-49||antimatter is used as an energy source, photon drives lie This is thus in the realm of the possible. The disintegrator emerges.|
|TL-16 / TG-50||Hyperkom revolutionizes interstellar communication; This The express news boats disappear.|
|TL-16 / TG-51||The material transfer mission with cage transmitters is being developed.|
|TL-17 / TG-54||umbrella transmitters appear.|
|TL-31 / TG-95||time travel possible|
|TL-32 / TG-99||energy is sourced directly from the universe, with corresponding Items is energy at will be in items after the Imagination of the character convertible. Let entire solar systems Shape through thought.|
0 00-03 1 04-06 2 07-09 3 10-12 4 13-15 5 16-18 6 19-21 7 22-24 8 25-27 9 28-30 10 31-33 11 34-36 12 37-39 13 40-42 14 43-45 15 46-48 16 49-51 17 52-54
Given that the web is not friendly to really wide tables, let's talk about organizing technology based on category, like MegaTraveller's tech discussion texts. E.G. I can break down the T5 tech level tables and present each column as its own bullet list.
- A separate section is needed for the post-TL-21 tech levels, since they describe a matrix of paths through technological possibilities. Even the Singularity is a continuum of outcomes, rather than a single point.
- Traveller5 took MegaTraveller's gee-whiz technology tables and made them an interesting commentary on progression. There's even rules on how cultures progress and regress in time over TLs.
Offhand, I don't like it. Objectively: is there a reference for this? I've never seen a negative TL... and it is bound to be problematic as well, since a negative sign has traditionally been used to label tech levels (TL-6... is it TL6 or TL -6?).
No worries. I really appreciate your feedback. You are at an intermediate stage between the really old guard and the newer guard. Your feedback is invaluable.
- Negative sign or dash? LOL
So the way I did it was to create an "evolution level", for lack of a better term, which spanned from e0 up to e33. e34 was the Singularity for evolution, at the point where an animal crosses the boundary into sophont, and is for all practical purposes equal to TL0. I liked the positive numbers. And there's less ambiguity as to what the number means. But again this and negative TLs are non-canonical and should be identified so.
The entire thing is identified as non-canon.
- I have invented alternate nomenclature for such things and improved versions for the rest.
- - Maksim-Smelchak (talk) 19:04, 11 October 2017 (EDT)
Time Travel? (2017)
Will they never discover it in the Traveller universe? If they can hit the singularity then they should hit chronotaxis as well.
chronotaxis (plural chronotaxes)
- A list or table, sorted in chronological order, of people who held an office. Mostly used for the succession of bishops. - Wikipedia
- We do have a chronotaxis of emperors of the Third Imperium. I would not be against a chronotaxis for the First Imperium.
- However, the only time travel in Traveller is forward.
- - Rje (talk) 11:46, 11 October 2017 (EDT)
Chronotaxis has multiple meanings, Rob. You found the most archaic one quite well.
3-TL Groupings (2017)
T5 does this. Are we taking care to follow those groupings?
Yes. How well do you know those groupings?
Not well. I know where the pages are in the book. I certainly don't think in groups of 3 TLs.
Traveller is very rich and complex. We all end up looking at it with new ideas every time Marc approves of changes.
- Very understandable.
What's with the funky names? (2017)
Some of the names are fine, but there's a lot of taxonomy going on here, and I really am not sure of the utility of them, and it looks like original material to me, which simply gets me worried.
Let's discuss. Glad that the ball is rolling.
- We should decide if this page is a Library page, hence does not make mention of rules, rule sets or other such real world items, or is a meta data base for the players.
- - Tjoneslo (talk) 11:25, 26 December 2016 (EST)
- Hi Thomas,
- 1. Would you please refer me to the library template you want used?
- I envision that many pages will have regular AAB articles (LE, or LEN) and some pages will also have dictionary entries (DE or DEN).
- I had thought that game mechanics and systems were not to be included and if it does it happen, it would be MET.
- 2. How do you want me to make language entries when Trokh and the others get entered in?
- Thanks and Happy Holidays, Thomas!
- - Maksim-Smelchak (talk) 14:20, 26 December 2016 (EST)f
- The page includes notes like Traveller5 aka T5 has introduced a new theoretical maximum to the TL System of TL-33.. This is metadata information. I wanted to have an agreement before stripping these from the article.
- For 2, please see Manual_of_Style#Dictionary_Entries, or if you really don't like that, please put a note in the Forum so we create a good style.
- - Tjoneslo (talk) 14:59, 26 December 2016 (EST)