- EXTERNAL LINK: Does anyone know the origin of the concept of 'tech level'? The earliest SF reference I know is in Star Trek, the episode "Spocks Brain" broadcast 20th Sept 1968- does the idea appear earlier in SF literature? does it come from a non-fiction source? (Of course the Traveller game developed Tech Level in great detail, but I'm wondering where the concept came from?)
- EXTERNAL LINK: With how much the world has changed since Traveller and the things it was based on were published, how do you codify/regiment the tech levels in your game to create an environment that continues your willing suspension of disbelief?
- EXTERNAL LINK: I can't remember, what is the max TL of current day Earth?
- EXTERNAL LINK: My question is: Do most of you active players stick with the rules as they are or do you adjust for contemporary tech advancements?
- EXTERNAL LINK: Is there a decent technology level timeline for the _Traveller_ universe anywhere?
- EXTERNAL LINK: How to handle large differences in tech levels in a single trading block?
- EXTERNAL LINK: I was thinking the Tech Level 15 in the Imperium was using a sense of scale that the size afforded. Are there any minor races/local cultures within the Empire that could spearhead more rapid tech development?
- EXTERNAL LINK: Would you consider TL 8 beginning at 2000 AD using Earth as a rough basis?
- EXTERNAL LINK: CotI: Sustainable Tech Levels?
- EXTERNAL LINK: Techgrad: German TL's by Peter Keel
- EXTERNAL LINK: David's: Traveller vs GURPS Tech Levels
- EXTERNAL LINK: Placing tech levels is not so easy? The science we have and fantasy science seem to be very similar in level..
- EXTERNAL LINK: An Analysis of Tech Levels by Ken Pick
- EXTERNAL LINK: Kardaschev Scale explained
- EXTERNAL LINK: What is the most imaginative science fiction concept you have ever come across?
- EXTERNAL LINK: MWM comment
- EXTERNAL LINK: As I understand it, the TL given in the UWP refers to what can be produced locally, and therefore higher tech equipment would depend on interstellar trade. Has anyone written rules to quantify this?
- EXTERNAL LINK: Interview with Orson Scott Card, Co-Creator of Extinct
- EXTERNAL LINK: Spacecraft – Low Tech
- EXTERNAL LINK: Spacecraft – High Tech
- EXTERNAL LINK: What is the highest tech level world you have created/encountered?
- EXTERNAL LINK: Technology Level Chronology
T20 The Traveller's Handbook. Pgs. 194-195
TBD have helped change our country for the better – academically, scientifically, economically, politically, militarily, medically, legally, technologically, and in so many other ways.
Codes by TL Epoch
- Post-Technological Period
Given that the web is not friendly to really wide tables, let's talk about organizing technology based on category, like MegaTraveller's tech discussion texts. E.G. I can break down the T5 tech level tables and present each column as its own bullet list.
- A separate section is needed for the post-TL-21 tech levels, since they describe a matrix of paths through technological possibilities. Even the Singularity is a continuum of outcomes, rather than a single point.
- Traveller5 took MegaTraveller's gee-whiz technology tables and made them an interesting commentary on progression. There's even rules on how cultures progress and regress in time over TLs.
Offhand, I don't like it. Objectively: is there a reference for this? I've never seen a negative TL... and it is bound to be problematic as well, since a negative sign has traditionally been used to label tech levels (TL-6... is it TL6 or TL -6?).
No worries. I really appreciate your feedback. You are at an intermediate stage between the really old guard and the newer guard. Your feedback is invaluable.
- Negative sign or dash? LOL
So the way I did it was to create an "evolution level", for lack of a better term, which spanned from e0 up to e33. e34 was the Singularity for evolution, at the point where an animal crosses the boundary into sophont, and is for all practical purposes equal to TL0. I liked the positive numbers. And there's less ambiguity as to what the number means. But again this and negative TLs are non-canonical and should be identified so.
The entire thing is identified as non-canon.
- I have invented alternate nomenclature for such things and improved versions for the rest.
- - Maksim-Smelchak (talk) 19:04, 11 October 2017 (EDT)
Time Travel? (2017)
Will they never discover it in the Traveller universe? If they can hit the singularity then they should hit chronotaxis as well.
chronotaxis (plural chronotaxes)
- A list or table, sorted in chronological order, of people who held an office. Mostly used for the succession of bishops. - Wikipedia
- We do have a chronotaxis of emperors of the Third Imperium. I would not be against a chronotaxis for the First Imperium.
- However, the only time travel in Traveller is forward.
- - Rje (talk) 11:46, 11 October 2017 (EDT)
Chronotaxis has multiple meanings, Rob. You found the most archaic one quite well.
3-TL Groupings (2017)
T5 does this. Are we taking care to follow those groupings?
Yes. How well do you know those groupings?
Not well. I know where the pages are in the book. I certainly don't think in groups of 3 TLs.
Traveller is very rich and complex. We all end up looking at it with new ideas every time Marc approves of changes.
- Very understandable.
What's with the funky names? (2017)
Some of the names are fine, but there's a lot of taxonomy going on here, and I really am not sure of the utility of them, and it looks like original material to me, which simply gets me worried.
Let's discuss. Glad that the ball is rolling.
- We should decide if this page is a Library page, hence does not make mention of rules, rule sets or other such real world items, or is a meta data base for the players.
- - Tjoneslo (talk) 11:25, 26 December 2016 (EST)
- Hi Thomas,
- 1. Would you please refer me to the library template you want used?
- I envision that many pages will have regular AAB articles (LE, or LEN) and some pages will also have dictionary entries (DE or DEN).
- I had thought that game mechanics and systems were not to be included and if it does it happen, it would be MET.
- 2. How do you want me to make language entries when Trokh and the others get entered in?
- Thanks and Happy Holidays, Thomas!
- - Maksim-Smelchak (talk) 14:20, 26 December 2016 (EST)f
- The page includes notes like Traveller5 aka T5 has introduced a new theoretical maximum to the TL System of TL-33.. This is metadata information. I wanted to have an agreement before stripping these from the article.
- For 2, please see Manual_of_Style#Dictionary_Entries, or if you really don't like that, please put a note in the Forum so we create a good style.
- - Tjoneslo (talk) 14:59, 26 December 2016 (EST)