|Also see||Emergency Gear|
When folded, the rescue ball is a cylinder 5.0 cm in diameter and 10.0 cm long. When deployed, it forms a sphere one meter in diameter which contains air sufficient to last one person for two hours. In the event of explosive decompression or other loss of air, a rescue ball allows an individual not in possession of a vacc suit to survive until aid arrives.
The user pulls a lanyard, climbs inside and seals the zip closure. The ball is made of a metal-coated plastic film for ease of location by radar and contains a bottle of compressed air, a first aid kit, and a transparent window through which the occupant may observe conditions outside the ball. Rescue balls provide some protection from stellar radiation and corrosive and insidious atmospheres for five to seven hours.
References & Contributors (Sources)
- Loren Wiseman. "Ships Locker." Journal of the Travellers' Aid Society 05 (1980): 30-31.
- Marc Miller. Imperial Encyclopedia (Game Designers Workshop, 1987), 52.
- Frank Chadwick, Dave Nilsen. Traveller: The New Era (Game Designers Workshop, 1993), 338.
- Marc Miller. T5 Core Rules (Far Future Enterprises, 2013), 630.
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science