- It is a kind of Ship Equipment.
Lift Shaft: A shaft extends between decks, with pressure-tight doors preserving the integrity of each deck. A pressure tight lift car, sealed by an air-tight door, runs inside the shaft; the shaft is closed off by a simple sliding door when the lift is not present.
Generally, a lift shaft will have only one lift car. On large ships (...in the 10,000-ton or greater range), there may be a system with several lift cars, branching shafts, and computer-controlled lift car control to show availability.
|Deck Plan Symbols|
|Late Key Diagram||Early Key Diagram|
Versions of vertical access to lower or higher areas of a structure or ship have been around almost as long as technology has. As soon as sophonts learn how to use found tools to make better tools, stairs, escalators and lifts are sure to follow.
Expected Lift Development Sequence
Foundational Period Technologies
- TL:1-3: Stairs and Ladders predominate in this period as larger, multi-story edifices are constructed.
- TL:4-6: Mechanical Elevators and Escalators begin to come into vogue, in many cases powered by electricity as electrification occurs.
- TL:7-9: Electronics, advanced hydraulics, and even Maglev (...magnetic levitation) technology allow more capable Elevators and Escalators.
Interstellar Period Technologies
- TL:10-18: Gravity Control Technology allows the Grav Lift, which becomes a significant trend in starship architecture. Most Grav Lifts are backed up with wall-mounted ladders for conditions under which loss of power occurs.
Ultra Period Technologies
- TL:19-27: No one is quite sure what will come in this period, however, many expect that psionic telekinetic and nanotechnological technologies will greatly affect domicile and starship construction.
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|