Fringian Steam Truck
The Steam Truck is a type of Ground Car.
Description / Specifications
The Steam Truck is a robust low tech commercial vehicle designed for the civilian market.
Hull / Suspension
A boxy hull constructed from steel, brass and wood.
- Length: 7.1m, Width: 2.2m, Height: 3.1m.
- Overall volume: approximately 48.5m³ (3.6 dTons).
- Unloaded Weight: 6,300 kg.
The overall volume measures the vehicles maximum dimensions and includes its road clearance. The enclosed volume of the contoured hull is lower.
The vehicle is fitted with a wheeled suspension system mounted on axles
- The vehicle performs well on metalled surfaces but has a limited off-road capability.
Power / Transmission
A small but efficient high pressure boiler, generating steam by burning liquid fuel to heat water. The steam powers pistons mechanically connected to the drive wheels. The truck carries a reserve of water in an internal tank and a supply of liquid fuel within a protected tank. Cold-starting the truck can take up to an hour and requires tens of liters of water to be boiled until operating pressure is reached.
- The vehicle vents steam. It is noisy and spits grease and hot water.
- Cruise Speed: 30 kph, Top Speed: 45 km, Off-road Speed: less than 15 kph.
- Range: 300 km at Cruise Speed, 200 km at Top Speed.
Crew / Cargo
The crew compartment consists of an enclosed front-mounted cabin fitted with clear windows and containing two front seats – an additional passenger can be accommodated though such arrangements are cramped. The vehicle has basic environmental protection (the hull is weatherproof but is not sealed). The driver's position is fitted with basic mechanical controls. Gauges provide data such as internal pressure and forward velocity.
An open-topped cargo hold is located towards the rear of the vehicle.
- Cargo Storage: 17m³ (1.2 dTons).
- Maximum Load: 6100 kg (including passengers) before performance is dramatically impaired.
- Maximum Gross Weight: 12,400 kg.
Headlights and running lights.
History / Background
An early self-propelled road vehicle capable of moving heavy loads. Although the vehicle is manufactured at relatively low tech levels and uses basic materials the design has been perfected over millennia and all of the engineering aspects are well-known and thoroughly understood. The steam truck is relatively efficient and reliable for its era. If a breakdown does occur it can generally be repaired with simple tools and brute force.
See also: Vehicles of the Distant Fringe.
References & Contributors / Sources
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|