|Homeworld||Querion (Spinward Marches 0614)|
|Reference||Alien Races 1 122-133.|
|Size||1.4 miles in diameter|
|Weight||Many thousands of tons|
The Sheol are a technologically sophisticated sophont species.
- They are a Minor Non-Human Race with a Non-humanoid appearance.
- The Squid Mothers and the messengers are two distinct jovionoid races who exist in a symbiotic relationship.
The Sheol exist in a symbiotic relationship. They inhabit a large gas giant rather than a terrestrial planet
Physiology & Environment (Ecology)
- Squid Mothers
- A Squid Mother is a spherical creature, 1.4 miles in diameter. Twenty feeding tentacles dangle from beneath this vast body, each one half a mile long and 30 yards wide. A Squid Mother has a coarse, ropy hide, covered in pock-marks, mouths, and gas vents. Beneath its skin is a complex series of intestinal passages, stomachs, valves and bladders. Much of the Squid Mother's interior is hollow, filled with heated gas. Living balloons, the Squid Mothers float serenely through the ammonia clouds, tentacles questing in search of living prey.
- Adult squid mothers live for an estimated 600 years.
- Messengers are a fully sentient race living in partnership with the giant squid mothers. Although in some ways subservient to the squid mothers, the messengers are intelligent beings in their own right. Because the messengers are much closer to Humans in size and outlook, it is they who are commonly entrusted with the responsibility of dealing directly with other races.
- Xenologists consider it likely that the squid mothers deliberately bred the present species of messengers from less intelligent ancestors, perhaps beginning with a simple process of domestication in prehistoric times, and continuing until the present form of the species was developed. It is also apparent that this process continues: although the so-called adaptives are the most often encountered race, several other sub-species of messenger have been observed, some showing signs of deliberate biological engineering.
History & Background (Dossier)
No information yet available.
Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
This race (sophont species) is primarily located in the following areas:
The homeworld of this race (sophontic species) is:
World Listing: 1105
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- David L. Pulver. Alien Races 1 (Steve Jackson Games, 1998), 122-133.
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science