(Redirected from Kroyloss)Jump to navigation Jump to search
- a Droyne social institution
- The kroyloss fills a special need for Droyne to set off into the world, but without loosing the companionship of other Droyne. Plural: Kroylosses
- When a young Droyne reaches maturity, it leave the tyafelm to join or form another, usually within the same dreskay, almost always within the same oytrip. Finding another family, however, is sometimes a difficult proposition. For many youths, existing agreements with other families provides an automatic opportunity to join another extended family. But many Droyne are driven by conflicting motivations. They young are curiour, inquiring, anxious to learn more about their world and their universe. At the same time they feel incomplete when apart from their family, when separated from other Droyne. The answer, arrived at over the course of millenia, is the institution know as the fraternity.
- After a period of wandering or mutual endeavor, a fraternity may break up (with its members leaving to join other families), or it may transform into a family as the individuals grow older. Thus, the fraternity is a sort of pre-family. But fraternities have few of the responsibilities of families. They can wander in search of adventure, or they may build a business or enterprise. A fraternity may be a kind of partnership which which operates a starship in merchant trading, or may form a small military unit for hire. Although one particular caste may predominate in a fraternity, there is at least one of each caste represented. Fraternities have a minimum size of six (one of each caste), and may range in size as large as 20 or more.
- Fraternities are less bound by the standards of society. They can purse interests that families might not. They can explore, prospect, innovate. They allow wandering and adventuring and excitement. But fraternities also provide something that Droyne need: companionship. Except for the sport caste, Droyne need the companionship of others in their daily lives.