Fringian Switcher Locomotive
The Switcher Locomotive is a Railroad Vehicle. It requires a railroad network of the correct gauge to operate.
Description / Specifications
A basic but powerful locomotive. It is mainly used within switch yards.
Hull / Suspension
A box-shaped hull constructed primarily from steel.
- Length: 8.9m (cabin length 2.7m), Width: 3.2m, Height: 3.9m.
- Overall Volume: approximately 111.1m³ (8.3 dTons).
- Unloaded Weight: 49,800 kg.
The overall volume measures the vehicles maximum dimensions and includes track clearance. The contained volume of the hull is signigicantly lower.
The vehicle is fitted with wheels set onto a series of axles and connected by rods.
- The vehicle is designed to operate on rail networks. The gauge (the distance between the inner faces of the two rails) for railroad networks within the Distant Fringe is generally 1.5m and most examples of the locomotive are built to match that standard.
Power / Transmission
A medium internal combustion power plant using hydrocarbon fuel to power an electric motor. The motor produces a large amount of torque but yields a relatively low top speed. The fuel is contained within a protected internal tank.
- Cruise Speed: 55 kph, Top Speed: 80 kph. Performance is identical in forward and reverse.
- Range: 500 km at Cruise Speed, 440 km at Top Speed.
The locomotive tows a train of wagons or other similar loads. Locomotives and wagons have an automatic coupling system. The linkage also includes pressure hoses that are connected to the towed wagons and operate their brakes.
- Maximum towing weight is approximately 245,000 kg. Greater loads may be moved but this places stresses on the locomotive that may cause a catastrophic loss of control.
- Two or more locomotives may work together in order to move larger trains.
Crew / Cargo
An enclosed cabin towards the front of the hull contains two crew positions. The driver's position is equipped with basic mechanical controls. A console provides information such as temperature and forward velocity.
The interior of the cab has many areas where small items may be stored. Internal space is provided for tools and maintenance equipment.
- Cargo Storage: 2m³ (largely given over to a large tool locker).
- Maximum Load: restricted by available internal volume only.
Headlights and running lights, and a horn. Basic environment (the hull is weatherproof but is not sealed). Locomotives may be fitted with animal fenders.
History / Background
A railroad locomotive designed for small scale logistical operations. It is primarily used to tow and shunt empty cargo wagons and passenger carriages. It is typically used in switching yards, where its relatively small size is an advantage. Locomotives often have a distinctive livery.
See also: Vehicles of the Distant Fringe
References & Contributors / Sources
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science