Fringian Maglev Flatbed Wagon
|Maglev Flatbed Wagon|
The Maglev Flatbed Wagon is a Maglev Vehicle. It requires a maglev guideway of the correct gauge to operate.
Description / Specifications
A Flatbed Wagon designed to operate on a maglev guideway network.
Hull / Suspension
An open hull constructed from alloys and composite materials.
- Length: 22.1m, Width: 3.6m, Height: 1.9m.
- Overall Volume: approximately 152m³ (11.3 dTons).
- Unloaded Weight: 51,700 kg.
The overall volume measures the vehicles maximum dimensions and includes its seating on the guideway beam and an associated engineering compartment.
The vehicle is fitted with linear motors built into trucks, enabling the vehicle to traverse curves in the guideway.
- The vehicle is designed to operate on maglev guideway networks. The gauge (the width of the guideway beam) for maglev networks within the Distant Fringe is generally 2m and most examples of the Maglev Flatbed Wagon are built to match that standard.
The Maglev Flatbed Wagon draws power from its linear motors. It has backup batteries that can run the onboard systems for up to a day.
- Cruise Speed: 400 kph, Top Speed: 500 kph. Performance is identical in forward and reverse.
- Range: unlimited.
The major limiting factor for performance is atmospheric resistance. Vehicles operating in a vacuum environment do not suffer these problems and may travel at their listed performance rating x2 or more.
Maglev Flatbed Wagons generally form part of a longer train. Flatbed Wagons gain no aerodynamic advantage from being coupled to a Maglev End Unit, and any maglev train containing loaded Flatbed Wagons is restricted to the Flatbed Wagon's performance.
Unlike other Maglev vehicles, the Flatbed Wagon contains no crew compartment and does not generally operate independently. A flat cargo deck on which it is possible to stack up to 284m³ (17 dTons) of cargo. Multiple tethering points set into the deck and hull allow the load to be secured. The vehicle has no crew compartment and is generally used in conjunction with a crewed vehicle. The vehicle has comprehensive electromagnetic shielding. An onboard computer system manages the vehicle.
- Cargo Storage: 11m³ (0.8 dTons), consisting of a luggage storage area and overhead luggage racks.
- Maximum Load: 370,000 kg.
Note: the onboard computer system is capable of operating the vehicle independently.
History / Background
A vehicle designed to move cargo along maglev networks.
See also: Vehicles of the Distant Fringe
References & Contributors / Sources
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science