Fringian Hopper Wagon
The Hopper Wagon is a Railroad Vehicle. It requires a railroad network of the correct gauge to operate.
Description / Specifications
An open-topped cargo wagon designed to be towed by a railroad locomotive.
Hull / Suspension
A generally box-shaped hull constructed from reinforced steel.
- Length: 17.1m, Width: 3.2m, Height: 3.9m.
- Overall Volume: approximately 214m³ (15.8 dTons).
- Unloaded Weight: 32,500 kg.
The overall volume measures the vehicles maximum dimensions and includes track clearance. The enclosed volume of the hull is lower.
The Hopper Wagon is fitted with wheels mounted in trucks, helping to distribute the weight and enabling it to traverse curves in the track.
- The vehicle is designed to operate on rail networks. The gauge (the distance between the inner faces of the two rails) for railroad networks within the Distant Fringe is generally 1.5m and most examples of the wagon are built to match that standard.
Power / Transmission
The box wagon has no internal power source.
Wagons are unpowered. They are moved by being coupled to a railroad locomotive.
- Wagons are fitted with an automatic coupling system. At TL 5 the linkage also includes pressure hoses that connect to the locomotive and operate the wagons braking system.
The body of the wagon consists of an open-topped hopper with a volume of 120m³ (8.5 dTons). The hopper is filled through the open top and emptied by means of floor hatches. The hatches are opened and closed via a manually operated mechanism.
- Cargo Storage: 120m³ (8.5 dTons).
- Maximum Load: 225,000 kg.
- Maximum Gross Weight: 257,500 kg.
History / Background
A wagon designed to move bulk loads (typically aggregates, minerals and ores) along railroad networks.
See also: Vehicles of the Distant Fringe
References & Contributors / Sources
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|