|Primary||F5 V M4 V|
|Army Size (BEs)||30|
|World Trade Number||4|
|Trade Volume (MCr/year)||1,185|
|Building Capacity (Tons)||96,000|
|Port passengers (annual)||10,000|
Barbary is a pre-industrial hellworld with a population struggling to survive in an inhospitable environment.
- Hellworlds often offer daily, and sometimes even hourly, life-threatening situations to their inhabitants.
- It requires extensive imports of outside technology to maintain a modern, star-faring society. This world designated as an Amber Zone. Caution is advised since the world has an environment, laws, customs, life forms, or other conditions that are not well understood and might be a danger to a visitor. It is a member of Third Imperium in the Star Lane Subsector of Deneb Sector and in the Domain of Deneb. Barbary, as a member world of the Third Imperium, holds the estate of an Imperial knight and the feifdom of a marquis. Both are members of the Imperial Nobility charged with overseeing the world. This world contains an Imperial Scout Base, capable of handling Scout Service starships and personnel.
|Army Size (BEs)||300|
|World Trade Number||4.5|
|Trade Volume (MCr/year)||11,931|
|Building Capacity (Tons)||156,000|
|Port passengers (annual)||19,000|
Era: New Era
Barbary had a tainted atmosphere and limited access to surface water, making it poorly suited to sophont habitation. The system has a population in the hundreds of millions, and suited to being a industrial worlds. This world designated as an Amber Zone. Caution is advised since the world has an environment, laws, customs, life forms, or other conditions that are not well understood and might be a danger to a visitor. It is a member of Regency of Deneb in the Star Lane Subsector of Deneb Sector. This world contains a Regency Scout Base, capable of handling Scout Service starships and personnel.
Description (Astrography & Planetology)
No information yet available.
Binary Solar System
Barbary Binary Star System Star Name Hierarchy Color Classification Remarks Barbary Primary Primary Yellow-White F5 V Barbary Companion Secondary Red M4 V
History & Background (Dossier)
Barbary is a bleeding political scab. Its boorish government has long kept its population in a state of tranquil ignorance and under the thumb of its brutal secret police and security services. Offworld travel by the populace is heavily restricted and trade is confined to agents and brokers whose transactions favor the ancient regime. The death penalty is invoked for a number of offenses, and a general culture of fear and suspicion keeps people in line and eliminates effective opposition.
Unlike Lucifer, the Regency has been more reluctant to directly confront the local government. Unlike that world, the populace here is dispersed across several smaller communities, each guarded by their respective nobles and their retinues of troops and police. Infiltration is therefore unlikely to succeed. Aside from a few offworld exiles, no effective opposition party exists anyway, and the local citizens are too isolated and controlled to develop any alternatives to their current system. Unfortunately for the Regency government and its policy of flexibility, radicals in both Barbary's regime and various private liberal reform groups have goaded each other into a confrontation that led to outbreaks of violence in 1170s and 80s, and the imposition of an Amber Zone. Merchants are cautioned against commercial contact with that world.
Imperial High (Landed) Nobility
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Rob Caswell. "Domain of Deneb: Sector Data." MegaTraveller Journal 3 (1992): 47-58.
- Dave Nilsen. The Regency Sourcebook (Game Designers Workshop, 1995), 60.
- Peter Gray - Traveller TNE Mailing List The Stronghold: Star Lane Subsector published 23 August 2001
- Mongoose Traveller: Deneb Sector (UWP only)
- External Link: Sunbane data