Submachinegun in use under high rates of fire
|Group: Ranged Weapon|
|Ammo||9mm bullet, x30 rounds|
Magazines holding up to thirty cartridges are inserted into the weapon forward of the trigger guard or in the pistol grip, depending on the design. The gun fires four rounds per pull of the trigger. Replacement of an empty magazine requires a minute or so.
Length: 750mm. Weight: 3,000.0 grams. Base Price: Cr520.
- Submachinegun ammunition (but not magazines) is interchangeable with automatic pistol ammunition. Most submachineguns are equipped with slings to allow ease of carrying. 
History & Background (Dossier)
The “Submachinegun” is a development of the Automatic Pistol to fill a role similar to the earlier Carbine. It is a larger pistol-like weapon, designed to project more bullets downrange, more accurately than the typical pistol, which has a shorter barrel. Accuracy for many submachineguns is not great compared to other firearms. They are, however, great for clearing rooms and projecting large amounts of firepower at a short range within confined spaces such as often occurs in urban combat environments. 
The Submachinegun or SMG is a timeless weapon that come of age in the TL:4-6 epoch and is never really considered obsolete as they remain useful well into the TL:13-15 epoch. SMGs tend to be an outgrowth of Automatic Pistol technology. However, the weapon tends to be superceded by the Automatic Rifle, Assault Rifle, and the ACR. 
Selected Submachinegun Models
- TL-4 Machine Pistol
- TL-5 Early Submachinegun
- TL-6 Submachinegun
- TL-7 Submachinegun
- TL-8 Submachinegun
- TL-9 Submachinegun
- TL-10 Submachinegun
- TL-11 Submachinegun
- TL-12 Submachinegun
- TL-13 Submachinegun
- TL-14 Submachinegun
- TL-15 Submachinegun
References & contributors (Sources)
- Marc Miller. Characters and Combat (Game Designers Workshop, 1977), 39-40.
- Marc Miller. Imperial Encyclopedia (Game Designers Workshop, 1987), TBD.
- Gary L. Thomas. The Travellers' Digest 16 (Digest Group Publications, 1989), 49.
- Dave Nilsen. Reformation Coalition Equipment Guide (Game Designers Workshop, 1994), TBD.
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science