User talk:MaggotIISS/Future hopes
Welcome. Please contact myself or another administrator if we can assist you with any edits.
- Thank you for your edits.
Vland subsector PDFs
It is possible to host the very fine subsector PDF documents you have produced here in the wiki. This may make distribution easier. And we could add individual book pages for each one to make them more visible to everyone wanting to find them. Tjoneslo (talk) 08:42, 5 August 2018 (EDT)
Huzzah! Very glad to donate to Traveller wiki. What else can I do to assist? (I am creating Core Campaign Recon at moment). I can add much more, but orbit paths in graphic will change, and do not show all orbits! Text versions includes moons. Have not finished Gushemege Subsector (Navy & Marine contingents may be wrong, not checked yet.) Check out:- http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=39270 http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=39244 http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=38789 https://github.com/MaggotIISS/T5 (click download button on github page) drop in C: (Windoze only I`m afraid, although written in Java, I never got paths working right with linux). 1.5GB in size! (text,gif,html,xml etc) Created with Netbeans 8.2 (started with Netbeans 5 - thats a long, long time ago............ ;-) ) Last time I tried with Netbeans 9 (experimental version months ago), it killed my machine! I may try again when fully released version 9 (although Oracle is sucking it out of reach I) I can add masses of text, and some very basic graphics.
Did not show up SDB/Squadron calculation for Capital!, I had to add manually. High tech & high pop (Hex to decimal problem I think)
ORIGINAL PLAN: Make printable handbooks (0 to 8 like original LBBs) as campaign flavour addition. NETBEANS 8.2 IDE and Java 8. Netbeans 9 may be problematic. All materials used for PDFs are in relevant folders: https://github.com/MaggotIISS/T5 is data repository (_Underscore folders are input data) https://github.com/MaggotIISS/TFX is main program. Could not easily add more without crashes. https://github.com/MaggotIISS/TCR is new attempt, but still needs TFX in C:/TFX I think.
I have not automated the PDF creation, but I had created HTML versions with lots of text for each world (print to PDF!).
Plenty of errors & cheap fixes.
I really need someone who can follow Java. I really need someone who can write.
You are most welcome to show/use/suggest anything, but adding to main program may be problematic.
I would love to keep making the documents and keep them on github.
- I know Java. I use Eclipse (for home) or IntelliJ (for work) for Java development. But if NetBeans is what you know, keep using it. I have marked your GitHub repos for review.
- https://github.com/makhidkarun/cartography -> This is my attempt to create a Java based mapping system similar to Galactic. There is probably code you can use from here. There is a hex map generator for different sizes, references to and use of Java PDF generator. And several other cool parts. I've just lost all track of Java UI programming.
- For the wiki development work I use Python, for which I have a very nice PDF generator library, and a direct interface to the wiki itself. See: https://github.com/makhidkarun/traveller_pyroute
- Because the final documents are largish (> 2MB) I need to use a secret handwave to upload the PDFs into the wiki, and then manually attach them to the relevant Subsector articles. Now that I have a source of the PDF documents, I'll take a look through them as see what can be done. Thanks Tjoneslo (talk) 17:59, 6 August 2018 (EDT)
Original documents for subsector PDFs are Open Office files (*.odt)
Panel4T5Locator.java is 11,000 lines long.
IDE dislikes >2500 lines, but afraid of moving and destroying setup.
Broken it many times.
It is possible (even easier) to have 200x100 gifs without black drawings added, so they could have other pics. Lots in T5/_GIF
10 Sectors completed. I have created pdfs for 157 subsectors at full page print. These are kept in <sec>/_LGE folders.
Images on your User Page
I'm going to gently remind you the Wiki has a copyright policy, and that uploading pictures or copying text from outside sources required permission of the copyright holder. Do you have permission for these pictures? Tjoneslo (talk) 07:42, 8 August 2018 (EDT)
- We have to patrol the wiki and keep it within compliance. Don't need any angry artists.
- Completely good if the artist gives you permission. Just share that permission.
Will ask sometime. Just loved the pic (and practising using the wiki - will be more thoughtful). MaggotIISS (talk) 14:21, 11 August 2018 (EDT) maggot-iiss 1 day ago Wow. Stunned. My Desktop never looked so cool!
May I have your permission to use this wonder Lift Cav pic on the Traveller wiki web site please? I need to ask for your permission, due to copyright issues. Heres a link to the user page I wanted to show it on.
Reply Drell-7 1 day ago Professional General Artist Certainly! It would be great to have it on the Traveller wiki! Would it be possible to include a link to my website: tpeters.com ?
maggot-iiss 18 hours ago Thanks a bunch! I shall add a link to tpeters.com along with deviantart link, give me a couple of days.
add Link to tpeters.com under pic requested
include https://github.com/marketplace/imgbot to shave graphic file sizes if useful (GIFs).
change to HTML5 for Counter creation, in `web.traveller`? package