Jump to navigation Jump to search
Smallcraft Types by Size
They are classified as starships are, by tonnage and acceleration, although minor variations can make identification difficult. By tradition, the following generalities are often, but not always accurate:
- Launches are in the 10 dton range.
- Gigs are in the 20 dton range.
- Ship's Boats" are in the 30 dton range.
- Pinnaces are in the 40-dton range.
- Cutters are in the 5O-dton rdl'lge.
- Shuttles may vary from 30 to lOO dtons.
Smallcraft Types by Role
- Assault Boat
- Attack Shuttle
- The Fighter is an armed space vessel often carried on larger military craft.
- The Launch is the smallest of the small craft. They often carried by larger vessels to serve as lifeboats.
- The Modular Cutter is designed to carry a 30-ton module. Available modules include an ATV cradle, a fuel skimmer, a passenger/cargo transport module, an Assault Boat module, a pressurised shelter, a weapons module, or even a fighter frame.
- The Pinnace is a larger, farther-ranging vessel capable of holding passengers and small vehicles. Size is usually around 40 ship tons.
- The Ship's Boat is designed to perform odd jobs and minor operations for a larger ship.
- The Shuttle is the largest small craft, and is designed for long-duration interplanetary travel.
- The Slow Boat is similar to the ship's boat, but is streamlined for atmospheric travel and slower in space.
- The Slow Pinnace is similar to the pinnace, but slower because more space is allocated for passengers and cargo. Like the slow boat, it is streamlined for atmospheric travel.