The Tram is a Railroad Vehicle. It requires a railroad network of the correct gauge to operate.
Description / Specifications
The Tram is a low tech beast-drawn passenger carriage. It is typically used to carry commuters in urban areas.
Hull / Suspension
An enclosed box-shaped hull constructed from steel, wood and brass. While sturdy, it is built to be as light as possible.
- Length: 12.4m (plus shafts), Width: 3.1m, Height: 3.4m.
- Overall Volume: approximately 131m³ (9.7 dTons).
- Unloaded Weight: 800 kg.
The overall volume measures the vehicles maximum dimensions and includes track clearance. The enclosed volume of the hull is lower.
The vehicle is fitted with wheels mounted in small trucks.
- The vehicle is designed to operate on rail networks. The gauge (the distance between the inner faces of the two rails) for railroad networks within the Distant Fringe is generally 1.5m and most examples of the Tram are built to match that standard.
Power / Transmission
A Beast of Burden (most commonly a horse) capable of moving up to 700 kg. The low rolling resistance of the wheels on the rails allows the draft animal to pull 4x its normal load.
The animal is harnessed between a pair of 2.2m long shafts attached to the front of the vehicle.
- Cruise Speed: 5 kph, Top Speed: 15 kph (trotting).
- Range: 10 hours at Cruise Speed, 1 hour at Top Speed.
Passengers / Cargo
An enclosed compartment divided into an enclosed lower deck fitted with clear windows and an open upper deck accessed by a spiral staircase, with a volume of 85m³ (6 dTons), of which approximately 14m³ (1 dTon) is given over to stairs and the crew compartment. There is bench seating for 7 passengers on each deck. The lower deck of the vehicle has basic environmental protection (it is weatherproof but is not sealed) and is fitted with interior lights and heaters. The driver's position is fitted with reins to control and steer the animals.
- Cargo Storage: 10m³ (0.7 dTons), consisting of a luggage storage area and overhead luggage racks.
- Maximum Load: 1,500 kg (including passengers).
- Maximum Gross Weight: 2,300 kg.
Headlights and running lights.
History / Background
A beast-drawn railroad vehicle, designed to transport passengers.
See also: Vehicles of the Distant Fringe
References & Contributors / Sources
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|