Modular Heavy class Fleet Auxiliary
|Modular Heavy class Fleet Auxiliary|
|Type: AMA Fleet Auxiliary|
|Cost||MCr3,622.25 in quantity 2,897.8|
|Origin||Principality of Caledon|
|Passengers||0 High/Med 0 Low|
|Size||10,000t + modules up to 10,000 Tons|
|208 in service|
The "AX-H" project - Caledonian fleet code for "General Auxiliary, Heavy"- is a class of modular, configurable fleet auxilaries.
Sometimes called "Storks", due to their appearance, the AX-H is essentially a long "spine" with a bridge and control space on the bow end, a power plant, jump and maneuver drives at the stern, and a long, slender "Neck" in between. The vessels are popular among their crews; the "Neck" offers accomodation space unheard of among other fleet auxiliaries, to say nothing of Caledonian warships.
Modules - up to 10,000 tons worth - can be attached. These modules can be changed - assuming the facilities of at least a C Starport are available, for a period of (generally) a month. However, about 80% of Storks are never reconfigured once commissioned.
AX-H (Generic Auxiliary, Heavy) is a place-holder name. Actual ships in service have type codes specific to their configuration.
Selected types include:
- Repair Ship, Heavy (AS-H) - Equipped with workshop, tractor and stores modules.
- Transport, Heavy (AD-H) - Equipped with fuel and accomodations modules.
- Refinery Ship, Heavy (AFR-H) - Equipped with refinery, fuel storage and fuel-lighter dock modules.
- Jump Drive Repair Ship, Heavy (ASJ-H) - Equipped with a large workshop module optimized for carrying out repairs to jump drives.
- Power Plant Repair Ship, Heavy (ASP-H) - Another large workship, with equipment and stores for maintaining, overhauling and repairing power plants.
- Tanker (AF-H) - Equipped with modular storage tanks and handling equipment. Can carry powerplant/jump fuel, water, beverages.
- Stores Ship (AM-H) - Equipped with dry-goods storage modules, and a small "office" module with inventory-management software and equipment.
- Station Ship (AU-H) - These ships serve as command posts and office space for stations, especially Forward Operating Bases. They include modules for office, accommodation, workshop and storage space.
The AX-H is a dispersed structure vessel. AX-Hs are not streamlined, and have only defensive weapons.
In addition to large numbers in the Caledonian fleet train, a few Storks have found their way into civilian service.
- Several serve as mining support and mineral transport ships
- Two highly-renovated specimens are used as luxury liners between Caledon and the Imperium
- One was sold to an Aslan clan to serve as a colonization ship
- One exceptionally beautifully-renovated vessel serves as a mega-yacht - perhaps aptly described as a "Jump Palace" - for Ian Prestwick, Duke of Pengilly, patriarch of an extraordinarily wealthy trading family from Stirling.
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article has Metadata|
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Mitchberg
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science