From Traveller Wiki - Science-Fiction Adventure in the Far future
- The Long Night was a period of intense anarchy, widespread tragedy, and interstellar disaster between the fall of one major polity, the Second Imperium or Rule of Man, and the succeeding polity, the Third Imperium.
- Also called an interregnum and represents the historical period extending from the Second Imperium to the Third Imperium.
- A timeline in Traveller: The New Era gives 2992AD or -1526 as the start date of the Long Night [p.9].
- The galaxy is only just emerging from this period which is commonly held to be from -1776 to 0 according to the Imperial calendar.
History & Background (Dossier)
It was a period where worlds were cut off from one another, technology was lost and the population on many worlds simply failed to survive.
References & Contributors (Sources)
- Classic Traveller Alien Module 6: Solomani
- Classic Traveller Supplement 8 Library Data (A-M)
- MegaTraveller Imperial Encyclopedia
- TNE Traveller:The New Era (book)
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science