An Emergency Beacon is a sophisticated long-range combination communicator and signal transponder.
- It is an emergency signaling device.
- It is a form of Communications Equipment.
The Emergency Beacon's internal transponder monitors common emergency search–and–rescue channels (one at a time). When traffic is picked up, the device simultaneously emits a shrill warning tone to alert users to the possibility that help is at hand and transmits a coded distress signal.
- When transmitting an emergency signal it is an Active device.
- Some more expensive models have provision for a taped, auto-repeat distress call, instead of the automatic code signal.
History & Background (Dossier)
Emergency Beacons are available from TL-9 onwards.
It is commonly known as a commlink beacon.
The Emergency Beacon serves as a means of establishing contact when there is any search being mounted within 500 kilometers, and then it serves to continue communications after that initial contact. The transponder operates for 30 days.
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Loren Wiseman. "Ships Locker." Challenge 25 (1986): 48.
- Marc Miller. Imperial Encyclopedia (Game Designers Workshop, 1987), 53.
- Marc Miller. T5 Core Rules (Far Future Enterprises, 2013), 636.
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science