System Defense Forces of the Principality of Caledon
In addition to the Royal Caledonian Navy and the General Staff, each of the Principality's constituent systems has its own local defense forces.
Local Defense forces are divided among the following services. The service's organization, operational planning and strategic aims are coordinated by the General Command Staff (GCC):
- Ground Forces - traditional combat arms (Infantry, Cavalry, Artillery), combat support (Engineers, reconnaissance, air defense) and support units (logistics, maintenance, medical) units that operate in direct support of ground units. This is by far the largest component. The Caledonian Army is a unified, Prinicpality-wide force - but it is mostly focused on defending individual systems. As rule, only about 25% of the Tech Level 10-12 ground units (and 10% of the immense TL9 contingent based on Cuillin) would ever be deployed outside their home systems.
- System Defense Forces - Orbital, System, and ground-based (non-jump) forces to defend against incursions into system space. This includes everything from system defense space forces to ground-based units defending against space-based attacks - everything from anti-missile lasers and ground-based extra-orbital fighter aircraft to point-defense nuclear dampers. Note that while most systems' defense forces serve locally, many SD troops from the Rob Roy system will serve in other systems as needed.
- Planetary "Air Forces" - atmospheric and low-orbital strike and air-defense units.
- Planetary "Wet" Navy - forces operating on system oceans and other waterways.
- Support Troops - Under the system run by the General Command Staff (GCS), these include any units that support all system forces, whether air, system, ground or naval. This category includes:
- System general staff
- Higher-level medical services - joint-service hospitals and research facilities
- Combined logisitics services (fuel, food, water and other non-service-specific general logistics)
- Joint-service schools (schools for skills that serve all services - medical, staff and logistics, signals and networking, fusion, structural engineering, sniping, and any other specialty shared by more than one service)
- Many high-level special operations units
- Civil Defense units
- Chemical, Nuclear and Radiological units
- Military Police, including general military investigative services
- The military dependent-care bureaucracy (above and beyond that provided by the Army's regimental system)
- The military legal system
Local Defense Forces by System
The chart below shows total system defense forces, broken down by service and system.
|World||TL||Total Local Defense||Ground Forces Total||Ground Force organization||System Defense Forces||Planetary "Air Force"||Planetary "Wet" Navy||Support Troops|
|Rob Roy||11||8,000,000||3,200,000||320 brigades||2,700,000||500,000||400,000||1,200,000|
|Scotia||11||30||15||A section of "Scotian Scouts" and a grav vehicle crew||-||3||-||12|
|Annan||10||7,000||2,800||Two reinforced infantry battalions||1,050||1,050||700||1,400|
|Cuillin||9||20,000,000||10,600,000||1,060 brigades organized into a large, complex army. Planet defense forces largely support for higher-tech units.||1,000,000||4,000,000||400,000||4,000,000|
|Firth||9||200||165||One reinforced "guard company" - effectively a Military Police unit. "Air Force" is a helo and a light aircraft. "Navy" is two small patrol boats||-||5||10||10|
|Lanark||9||15||9||15 man scout section. The "Air Force" is a single helicopter crew||-||2||-||4|
|Culloden||9||5||5||5-man security unit||-||-||-||-|
|Pentland||8||500||375||3 companies of Pentland Rangers||-||25||-||100|
|Grampia||6||200||160||One company of light infantry||-||20||-||20|
While most of the Army (and all of the System Defense, Air and Naval) forces are dedicated to local system defense, a portion of the Army is allotted to the " Intervention Force". This force is heavily composed of units from TL11 and TL12 worlds, along with a sizeable contingent from TL9 Cuillin.