General Command Staff (Principality of Caledon)
The military structure of the Principality of Caledon seems, to outside observers, chaotic, with each branch of the Armed Forces tracing its lineage, funding and to an extent loyalty to a different component of the Monarchy.
The General Command Staff (GCS) is the organization that tames the chaos and makes the fractious-looking and relatively small Military of the Principality of Caledon an effective, efficient fighting force.
The GCS has four primary missions:
- Organize and plan the operations and logistics for the various branches of the Military.
- Manage military procurement for all of the Principality's services.
- Ensure standardization of the parts of the military not directly controlled by the Monarchy - the Army of the Principality of Caledon, controlled by the nobles, and the various system defense forces (to the extent that the systems are cooperating with the Monarchy).
- Serve as a clearinghouse and manager for intelligence operations.
The GCS's organization chart screams "bureaucracy" - but it is a generally very lean organization, especially compared to similar bodies in the Imperium.
There are eight staff departments, colloquially known by their department numbers:
- "Staff One" - Department One handles coordinating high-level logistics.
- "Staff Two" - Department Two is in charge of intelligence. It operates a clearinghouse for intelligence gathered by the armed services' intelligence departments and the Principality's various commercial ventures (which have far more reach outside the Principality than military intelligence does).
- "Staff Three" - This department plans the military's strategic-level operations (leaving most of of the operational and tactical planning to the individual services).
- "Staff Four" - Department Four handles administration; it focuses mostly on administering contracts and accounting, but also handles the GCS's own personnel and payroll management.
- "Staff Five" - Staff Five coordinates Army and System Defense units, ensuring they are fairly interchangeable (subject to system tech levels). It's the most wide-ranging department; groups of 2-3 staff officers and NCOs work with Army and System Defense units to push equipment, training and doctrine standards.
- "Staff Six" - Department Six manages procurement for the Armed Forces (via which the GCS exercises control over the Principality's defense budget, passed by Parliament)
- "Staff Seven" - Department Seven handles relations with the Monarchy and the various system governments.
- "Staff Eight" - "Staff Eight" handles communications - in this case, liaison with the Caledon Royal Mail.