Traveller RPG Wiki
|Traveller Wiki Policies|
|Who we are|
|About • What is Traveller? • Traveller Ethos|
|How you can help|
|Article Organization • Manual of Style • Projects|
|Canon • Setting • Versions of Traveller|
|Colours • Date Organization • Dossier • Images • Referral Tree • Specifications • Sources •|
|Namespaces • Subpages • Template List|
Library Data Referral Tree
Traveller is a generic, universal RPG system. It can be used to simulate almost anything.
- 1. It's loose and free because too much codification leads to simulationist gatekeeping.
- 2. Traveller has a near fanatically nonconformist group of very passionate and all-too-often cranky grognard fans. The first generation of Traveller fans is aging and probably averages somewhere near or over 50yo in age.
At the same time, it is:
- 3. Traveller is a specific setting, the OTU, with a very generalized yet firm set of canon, with definite boundaries and conventions including specific game mechanics and formulas for determining specific game results although many of the mechanics conflict and contradict each other. The story supersedes the game mechanics.
- 4. It's ok to try and make sense of the generalities of the OTU. Just be aware that some other fans will almost invariably and very passionately disagree with you. And the publications are chocked full of conflicts and contradictions. Fans tend to be even more conflicted.
But that setting is swiss cheese, it has more holes than cheese:
- 5. Ask a question and in most cases, there is no definitive answer, not even a subjective one. And it's near impossible to find an answer because there are nearly 40 years and 2,000 publications to consult, more than any fan can reasonably research with only a dozen or so books to reference. Thus, the setting is constantly being re-invented and reinterpreted.
- 6. A large part of the fun is in actually in playing the game and searching out the mysteries and inconsistencies! It makes for great adventure!
Wiki Mission Statement
However, part of the mission of the Traveller RPG Wiki is to explore and fill in as many of the holes in the swiss cheese as possible, trying to navigate the impossible line in-between under-definition and over-definition, acknowledging that:
- The level of detail or lack of detail in any specific interpretation of the OTU, in an ATU or IMTU, is entirely subjective and highly open to interpretation. A fan can choose at anytime what to use in his or her own games. It's simply impossible to please all of the people even some of the time. And yet part of the mission of the wiki is to please as many fans as possible.
- Another part of the mission is to build out the AAB Library Data articles here at the wiki and aggregate over 40 years and nearly 2,000 publications worth of materials with the highest level of quality possible meeting the goals of Classic Traveller to make a Galactic Encyclopedia also known as the Imperial Encyclopediopolis possible.
Wiki Copyright Policy Goals
The goal of the Traveller RPG Wiki is to never outright or wholesale copy from any published Traveller materials, but to use illustrative and clever images and quotes from published Traveller canon to build a system reference here at the wiki as well as a setting reference for the Official Traveller Universe. So, go out and buy the original publications from Far Future Enterprises or an officially licensed Traveller publisher.
It has been around since 2006 CE and undergone a number of changes over the years.