A Tarpaulin or tarp is a waterproof sheet used for temporary shelter. A Reflectorized Tarpaulin protects against radiated heat.
A tarpaulin is typically a sheet of a heavy, strong textile that is resistant to the effects of weather. Versions manufactured at higher tech levels may have fluid-repelling coatings or be made from artificial fibers. A standard tarpaulin measures 2x4 meters. There are grommets around the edges to serve as tie-down or anchor points.
A tarpaulin is a versatile item with many uses. It is most commonly utilized as a component to construct temporary shelters, to cover vehicles, equipment, and supplies, or to act as a screen.
A tarpaulin included in a survival kit will typically have a high visibility finish. Commercial or military types may be plain, printed with logos, or be camouflaged.
- Marc Miller. Imperial Encyclopedia (Game Designers Workshop, 1987), 66.
- Frank Chadwick, Dave Nilsen. Traveller: The New Era (Game Designers Workshop, 1993), 339.
- Marc Miller. Marc Miller's Traveller (Imperium Games, 1996), 69.
- Greg Porter. Central Supply Catalog (Imperium Games, 1996), 32,34.
- Martin Dougherty, Hunter Gordon. The Traveller's Handbook (QuikLink Interactive, 2002), 211.
- Martin Dougherty. Guns, Gadgets and Gear (Avenger Enterprises, 2007), 56.
- Marc Miller. T5 Core Rules (Far Future Enterprises, 2013), 648.
- Matthew Sprange. Central Supply Catalogue (Mongoose Publishing, 2016), 55.