- EXTERNAL LINK: What terms do non-human sophonts use for "humane" and "humanity?" Should that be in light of the mortal "condition" or a "sophont condition?"
- EXTERNAL LINK: The Fermi Paradox asks why we haven't found any evidence of aliens. Here are 13 potential answers to that question.
- External Link: Quick, How Might the Alien Spacecraft Work?
MWM makes a clear distinction among the following terms (at least in T5):
- A Sentient (= "Sensing") is a life form that is self aware (e.g. an animal).
- A Sapient (= "wise cognizance") is an intelligent life form.
- A Sophont (= sophonce or higher intelligence) is an intelligent life form that has an interstellar presence.
So a TL-0 or TL-1 society of NILs on a world would be considered a Sapient species, but not Sophonts. If that same species eventually developed Jump Drive or a small STL/NAFAL ship polity (or had become members of a starfaring society and had spread out among the stars by that agency), then they would be considered Sophonts.