- The number of sophonts which have been contacted is quite high; the Imperium boasts more than a hundred; Charted Space boasts more than four hundred.
- Tools are used to adapt, change, or control an environment. Tool-using cultures are groups of beings (not necessarily sophonts) with the ability to find or make tools.
- But, using tools is not enough: Technology is the ability to use tools as force multipliers to get things done.
- Technology builds on the successes of earlier tool-making experiences, and enables a progression to higher levels.
Derived from the Terran Greek word Sophia, meaning wisdom.
A Sophont is a member of a species (race) generally recognized as sapient that has achieved a presence on an interstellar scale.
- Sophonts are consistently described with a long name in the format “the [race name] of [homeworld]”. For example, the Llellewyoly of Junidy.
- Higher Ensouled Being
- Highly Intelligent Being
- HILF (higher intelligent life form)
- True Artificial Intelligence
Cycle of Life & Sophontic Civilization
- A-life → Proto-Life → Creatures → Proto-Sophonts → Sophonts → Transcendents → Ascendants → Singularity
- Proto-Life (transitory stage)
- Proto-Sophonts (transitory stage)
- Transcendents (transitory stage)
History & Background (Dossier)
Remarks: Any intelligent species. Sophont is preferred to Sapient, although the two terms are roughly synonymous. The IISS assumes a vague hierarchy in which sapient is inferior to sophont (roughly, sapients as a species have not left their homeworld, and sophonts are present in interstellar society).
- Sentient technically means “feeling” and should not be used to describe an intelligent species.
- Sophont encompasses all intelligent species.
- The study of sophonts or intelligent life forms is sophontology; some older IISS materials used xenology, or even xenoanthropology, but sophontology is preferred.
Sophont Species Listing
Academic Sophont Sources
Some of the best guides to studying sophonts in Charted Space include: