- It is a type of Civilian Vehicle, a Rail Vehicles, and a Ground Vehicle.
- It is an element of a world's infrastructure.
Railroad Locomotives go through many incarnations as technology progresses (see images below). Since form follows function, these don't differ too much between worlds.
Railroad Locomotives are an important part of transportation infrastructure on many worlds. A variety of Terran-style locomotives are depicted: other worlds and cultures produce their own unique styles of rolling stock.
- Note: The Mag-Lev Locomotive is NOT a railroad locomotive
History & Background (Dossier)
A train is a form of transport consisting of a series of connected vehicles that generally runs along a prepared path or track to transport cargo or passengers. The word "train" comes from the Old French trahiner, derived from the Latin trahere meaning "to pull" or "to draw."
- Because of the vast variety of forms of transportation that exists within Charted Space, the generic term "train" is used to define two or more linked vehicles operating on a defined guideway in order to transport cargo or passengers between locations. Terms such as railroad, monorail or gravlev are names for specific types of train.
Railroad Locomotives go through many incarnations as technology progresses - with changes in power source, power transmission and connection to the track:-
- Cog Locomotive
- Diesel Locomotive
- Electric Locomotive
- High Speed Locomotive
- Light Rail Locomotive - n.b. May be a Railcar
- Steam Locomotive
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Train. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. The text of Wikipedia is available under the Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.|