News Services of Charted Space
- They are controlled and/or regulated by many different actors on the interstellar relations stage: polities, megacorporations, various sophont races, and vast array of interest groups.
- All of these different actors hold different values, relationships with data, and priorities.
- A few of these actors believe in traditional values of bringing the facts to the people to prepare them to make their own decisions.
- Please see AAB article Communication Technologies of Charted Space for related information.
- Communication Technologies
- 1 Description (Specifications)
- 2 History & Background (Dossier)
- 3 References & Contributors (Sources)
Even in a galaxy where FTL star travel is a way of life, information travels relatively slowly throughout Charted Space. Instantaneous communication, a long-held dream, has never been achieved by any known race. Thus communication is usually limited to the speed of packets, couriers, and other types of message-laden starships. Lesser frequented spaceways might only receive mail transmissions, physical mail packages or letters, and other communications once every few weeks through a Postal Union. While the more frequented trade routes most often receive messages several times a subjective Terran-standard 24-hour period (day).
Major Holovid Network Providers
Among the best known Holovid networks and providers are:
Interstellar News Networks:
- Carnak News Database (CND)
- Coalition Information Network (CIN)
- Daryen News Network (DNN)
- Deneb Information Service (DIN)
- Eko Media (EKO)
- Expanses News Service (ENS)
- Express Boat Network (EBN)
- Llelish Interstellar Information Interchange (LIII)
- Imperial Courier Service (ICS)
- Imperial Data Network (IDN)
- Information Dissemination Services (INDISS)
- Interstellar News Association (INA)
- Sector Information and Data Dissemination Service (SIDDIS)
- Solomani Confederated News Service (SCNS)
- Sylean News Network (SNN)
- Terran Information Network (TIN)
- Traveller News Service (TNS)
- Vanguard Reaches Extra (VREX)
- Vilani News Network (VNN)
NOTES: They generally have influence over one or more sectors.
Minor Holovid Network Providers
Among the lesser known Holovid networks and providers are:
Interstellar News Networks:
NOTES: They generally have influence over less than one sector.
Periodicals of Charted Space
Magazines or Newspapers:
- Carnak's Surface Weapons
- The Emperor's Eye
- Mora World Review
- Phoenix Sun
- Travellers' Digest
- Utoland Gazette
Books of Charted Space
|Well-known Charted Space Publications|
|Title / Author||Synopsis||Remarks|
|Almost Disaster by Albert Croale||Historical Work||Discusses:|
|The Authentic Experience by Johann Kramm||Cultural Work||Discusses:|
|The Book of Larm by Makkhii Larm||Religious Work||Discusses:|
|The Bucherei Conundrum by Kethrin Virbek||Adventure Account||Discusses:
|Carnak's Surface Weapons||Ground Weaponry Guide||None|
|Codices of Aosoilte by Aosoilte||Aslan Philosophical Work||None|
|Crowe's Encyclopaedia Xenobiologica||Alien Guide||None|
|A Deeper History by Middleton Rothery||Adventure Account||Discusses:
|Dru'mhilla Manifesto by Ahaja Bucherei||Political Manifesto||Discusses:
|Encounter on Kaiid by Nelagid Marsid||Adventure Account||None|
|Hoard of the Sky Raiders by Jothan Messandi||Adventure Account||None|
|Lost Throne by Otis Adelbert Molitor||Adventure Account||None|
|The Port Authority Handbook||Starport Guide||None|
|Shambhala by Mornal Bruton||Adventure Account||Discusses:
|The Solomani Hypothesis by Magis Sergei haut-Devroe||Humanity Theories||None|
|Trane's Historical Cycles by Julian Trane||Vilani Historical Work||None|
|The Travellers’ Aid Society Green List||Starship Guide||None|
|The Traveller's Guide to Starships||Starship Guide||None|
|Twilight's Peak||Ship Guide||None|
|Wiseman's Guide to Sophonts||Sophont Guide||None|
History & Background (Dossier)
Charted Space contains a vast variety of technological information systems. While standards exist, news is typically formatted into a number of different media based upon bandwith, locality, TL, and a variety of other criteria. Despite all of these differences, basic plaintext data bursts in common binary computer codes still predominate amongst news agencies using FTL starships for news transfer. These basic data transferences have the advantage of being usable by worlds of very different levels of technology mastery.
More complicated data involving sound, graphics, and video files can be added to these basic binary data bursts for the more prosperous markets that can afford larger and more expensive news data files.
Network Sizes & Polity Reach
News networks operate anywhere were there is a market to support them.
- Even the largest networks can only move information at the speed of travel. Some news networks with adequate funding run X-boat-like systems to move news.
- While most news data has broad appeal to most sophonts, entertainment programming is much more species and region specific. Some polities closely control the news and rigorously censor it.
They generally grow in the following sequence:
- Subplanetary News Networks (Sub-planetary: Balkanized)
- Planetary News Networks (Planetary: World-State)
- Subsector News Networks (Subsector: Pocket Empire)
- Sector News Networks (Sector: Interstellar Polity)
- Multi-Sector News Networks (Multi-Sector: Supra-Polity)
- Very Large Networks (Many Sectors: Large Supra-Polity)
- They are more properly known as Interstellar Postal Unions.
- Most Postal Unions are subsector in size or less.
- Please see the AAB article Postal Union for more information.
Interstellar News Association
- Interstellar News Associations tend to be several subsectors in size or greater and many can cover an entire sector or larger.
- Please see the AAB article Interstellar News Association for more information.
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|