Gravity, or gravitation, is a natural phenomenon by which all things with mass or energy are brought toward (...or gravitate toward) one another.
- Observing Charted Space
- Universal World Profile (UWP)
- PBG Sequence
- COG Sequence
- Other System Data
Planetary gravity measurements have used a number of different metrics, but the following has become increasingly standard:
- The common Imperial abbreviation is G.
Gravity Benchmarks & Metrics
|Microgravity:||0.01 G or less|
|Very Low Gravity:||0.02 to 0.10 G|
|Low Gravity:||0.011 to 0.49 G|
|Standard or Average Gravity:||0.50 to 1.49 G|
|High Gravity:||1.5 to 1.89 G|
|Very High Gravity:||1.90 to 2.00 G|
|Macrogravity:||2.01 G or higher (2.01-G+)|
|Black Hole||A Black Hole is an intense source of gravity.|
History & Background (Dossier)
Gravity is typically conceptualized and understood by most sophont species by the end of the TL:1-3 technological epoch. By TL:4-6, gravity research becomes more theoretical culminating in prototype Gravity Control Technology by the end of TL:7-9 technological epoch.
Technological Overview of Gravity Control Technology
- Theoretical Gravity Control (TL:7-9) → Gravity Control Technology (TL:10-12) → Advanced Gravity Control Technology (TL:13-15) → Very Advanced Gravity Control Technology (TL:16-18)
Technological Stages of Gravity Control Technology
- TL:7-9: Gravity control is mostly theoretical at this stage although some society are able to create large, unwieldy gravcraft, which nevertheless work. Starcraft G-Drives become more and more capable.
- TL:10-12: Gravity Control Technology is a foundation of interstellar period societies, which use it in large cities, for everyday transportation, in starships as Z-Drives, as scientific densitometers, and in a variety of other applications. This control of the force of gravity allows construction of vehicles, like the Air/Raft and G-Carrier, mapping of object mass through Densitometers, and safety equipment like the Grav Parachute.
- While not often correlated by most people, historians have noted that the advent of practical fusion power plants is the result of applied gravitic compression of the fissionable fuels. Some mass-thrusters also rely on the gravitic compression of hydrogen to a near-fusion energy level. The ability to warp space-time and induce a jump is directly related to the control and understanding of gravitics. The Terran system failed to comprehend and use gravitics for many years, which delayed the Solomani expansion.
- TL:13-15: By TL:13-15, grav vehicles merge with orbital spacecraft, making for G-Carriers with near interplanetary capabilities, a step towards becoming true system craft. Gravity assisted material technologies yield Superdense Armor, Bonded Superdense Armor, and Coherent Superdense Armor materials with protective qualities beyond anything previously imagined.
- TL:16-18: It is expected that Gravitic Control Technology will continue to advance in the near future barring a massive apocalyptic event of some sort.
References & Contributors (Sources)
- Frank Chadwick. Striker (Game Designers Workshop, 1981), B3-5,8,22.
- Frank Chadwick, Dave Nilsen. Fire, Fusion, & Steel (Game Designers Workshop, 1994), 75.
- Don Perrin. Starships (Imperium Games, 1996), 71.
- Martin Dougherty, Hunter Gordon. The Traveller's Handbook (QuikLink Interactive, 2002), 154.
- EXTERNAL LINK: [ TBD] at Freelance Traveller by Bob McBob
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science