Fringian Free Trader
|Fringian Free Trader|
|Type: ML Commercial Mercantile Ships|
|Fuel tank||0 Tons|
|Canon||Unpublished, non-canon design|
Description / Specifications
A generic class of civilian vessel, the Free Trader is a small commercial transport commonly encountered within the Distant Fringe region. It is classified as a Commercial Mercantile Ship and is constructed as a conventional design. Similar designs have been in use from the time the Distant Fringe was first settled.
- The vessel is a TL-11 design.
The Free Trader is constructed using a 200-dTon hull built in a generally cone-shaped configuration. The hull is fully streamlined: the ship is equipped with fuel scoops.
- Individual sections of the ship are divided by bulkhead walls. Sections of the ship can be isolated in the event of an emergency.
- The hull includes internal grav plates and inertial compensators. All accessible sections of the hull have life support.
The vessel mounts a DeVoss-type jump-2 drive, a maneuver-2 drive, and a power plant 2, giving performance of jump-2 and 2G acceleration. The ship has an agility rating of 1 and an emergency agility of 2. There is fuel tankage of 44 dTons, sufficient for one jump-2 and giving the power plant four weeks duration.
- The jump drive utilises a lanthanum hull grid.
- The jump drive is fitted with a jump governor.
Adjacent to the bridge is a computer model/2. There are 6 staterooms and 10 low berths. Each member of the crew has private quarters: if the crew elect to go double occupancy, up to three paying passengers may be accommodated. Cargo capacity amounts to 70 dTons.
- The vessel is fitted with communications equipment and a sensor suite.
The Free Trader requires 6 crew: 2x command, 1x engineering, 2x gunnery, and 1x service.
The ship is fitted with two turrets:
- one triple turret mounting beam lasers
- one triple turret mounting missile racks
The ship has a dedicated hanger able to house a vehicle of up to 4-dTons, though no subcraft or vehicles are provided.
The basic cost of the vessel is MCr107.930.
- The ship is a standard design. Detailed architectural plans are widely available and no design fee is chargeable.
- If multiple examples of the design are ordered all of the ships in the production run qualify for a 20% discount, which reduces their price to MCr86.344.
History / Background
A design that dates to the time of the Terran Confederation. The design is representative and a large number of variants exist, particularly with regard to the allotted weapons systems, onboard electronics, and the fit out of internal spaces.
See also: Ships of the Distant Fringe
References & Contributors / Sources
|This article has metadata.|
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|