Subsector Disambiguation (2018)
There was a brief discussion on my talk page about the naming convention for subsectors where we need to disambiguate the name. That is, where the same name was used in two different places. For example, the name "Gulf" is used in both Deneb and Reaver's Deep.
I will admit the "(XX N)" was a quick and technically oriented fix. An alternative I might suggest would be to append the Sector name: <Name> Subsector (<Sector>)
- Example: Gulf (RD A) Subsector -> Gulf Subsector (Reaver's Deep)
- Example: Gulf (DA M) Subsector -> Gulf Subsector (Deneb)
- Example: Edge (Da A) Subsector -> Edge Subsector (Diabei)
- Example: Edge (Il M) Subsector -> Edge Subsector (Ilelish)
We can take those subsectors and rename them to remove the parentheses as if a sophont misspelled or misunderstood them, an easy thing to do in a universe with many cultures and sophonts.
- e.g. Gulf (RD D) Subsector → Gulf Rada Subsector
- e.g. Edge (Da A) Subsector → Edge Daa Subsector
Do you have a better fix? Feedback, please?
Or we could just go with how I have started calling them in my new Atlas...
This provides the four-alpha sector as well as location.
Sounds fine to me.
Sorry to chime in so late. My opinion, if it ain't broke don't fix it. As usual, I am completely flexible to whatever is decided. I am a big user of the Gulf Subsector format regime so I have never considered the current subsector naming system as an impediment. I'll go with whatever the consensus is since I will continue to use the formatting mentioned previously in any of my applicable entries.
Good to see everyone and have a great evening All!