Just to start sanity-checking, here:
I put together a proposed fleet order of battle (ORBAT) for the Principality of Caledon.
Using TCS budget figures as explained by Mr. Jones-Low for a state with 31 billion people, and fudging a credit-to-ton figure for ships (rather than designing them all - I'm looking for abstract, here) of roughly 1MCr/ton for destroyer-sized ships (around half that for larger ships d/t economies of scale, and less for open-structure civilian vessels and the like), I came up with a fleet of...
- 220 battleships and carriers of over 100,000 tons
- 558 cruisers and light carriers between 20,000 and 40,000 tons
- 1,400 or so auxiliaries (including a *lot* of tankers) over 10,000 tons
- Nearly 800 "destroyers"/fleet escorts of 3-5,000 tons.
- A couple thousand smaller jump and intra-system escorts between 600 and 1,200 tons
- Over 5,000 smaller starships - from scouts and couriers to militarized "Far Traders".
On the one hand, the numbers seem to add up.
On the other - that's something like 12,000 ships altogether.
- 31 billion people is a lot of people demanding protection from a dangerous universe. It's 4.4x larger than the current population of Earth. And they're all living on a world with a technology (read: economic) base the is beyond the highest level of the current real world. Based upon other times I've done fleet builds for pocket empires this looks about right. Tjoneslo (talk) 00:01, 3 October 2013 (EDT)