Forum:I've done it again...
BTN & Interstellar Trade (2009)
With more subsectors out there than I could provide maps for in my lifetime... I've started looking at other projects. Doubly dangerous since my attention is probably about to shift to another topic for a while.
Anyway, I've been meaning to come up with format for sector dotmaps for some time. I'd actually done some for my own projects years ago, but wasn't happy with them since they were purely bitmap, and a real pain to do. So, I finally got around to figuring out a vector version. You can see the results here:  Need to play around the the colors and such a bit.
That's a political one; other things are doable. I've been thinking of a dotmap purely colored by the world's BTN. At any rate, my current thought is to put some of the info about the early settlement of the Spinward Marches from The Traveller Adventure and recreate a couple of the historical maps from there for that section.
- - Rindis 20:34, September 7, 2009 (UTC)
I would stick with getting Charted Space up and runing as you have the various subsectors before you get too deep into getting sidetracked. ....but then again, work in a direction that holds your interest.
- Then again, who am I to talk about getting side-tracked...life takes its bites.
- - Sstefan 02:46, September 9, 2009 (UTC)
- In regards to building dot maps based upon BTN, please see Trade map summary. I have the code to generate these maps from the .sec files automatically. If you look in the infobox for many of the sectors of in charted space, there is a small link which says: This sector has a Trade Map, which links to a PDF file with all the BTN routes. These are also autogenerated.
- - Tjoneslo 14:12, September 9, 2009 (UTC)
- Whoops used the wrong term. What I get for not looking in Far Trader before I post. I'm not thinking of the 'trade between two worlds' number (BTN), but the 'trade this world generates' number. i.e., something that could color the dots of a dotmap.
- At any rate, I'm wondering about thoughts on the look of the current dot map. ;) I'd kind of like to replace some of the current sector/domain images cropped from the old poster, as I don't think they're very clear. But I'm not going decide something like that unilaterally. I can also turn off transparency, turn off the dots, and reduce the size by about half, getting me to something like the scale of the old overall maps GDW in the alien modules and such (well, if I stitch a bunch together...). In other words, I'd like to modernize the graphics a bit. In my copious spare time. :)
- And back on subsectors, Gvurrdon is a grind. Lots of long Vargr names, and I'm sure I'm going to hit a situation where fitting the name in is all but impossible... :P
- - Rindis 17:53, September 9, 2009 (UTC)