Forum:Agent of the Imperium ship types
Ship Hierarchy / Organization Links (2019)
SHIP HIERARCHY SOURCES:
- Starships CT Book 2 Ship Hierarchy
- Referee's Manual MT Ship Hierarchy
- Previous Wiki System by JMattera
- T5 Core Rules T5 Ship Hierarchy
- Agent of the Imperium AOTI Ship Hierarchy
SHIP HIERARCHY ARTICLES:
- Civilian Ship Type
- Military Ship Type
- Ship Mission Code
- Ship Mission Code/updates JMattera Wiki-1 System
- Ship Type Code
- Ship Type Code/updates JMattera Wiki-1 System
- Ship Classification
SHIP INFOBOX TEMPLATES:
- TJonesLow Ship Template implemented at Beowulf, PF SLoan, Tigress, etc.
- And Alegoric experiment at F-12 class Light Fighter and several others
- Template:Ship size categories
- Template:Ship summary list
- Template:Hull summary list.display
- Template:Ship summary list.display
- Starship-Nav-Bar-Two-2019CE 2019 Bar - Updated from earlier bar.
- Military starship nav bar 2016-19 Bar
- It doesn't fully reconcile with the earlier wiki ship classifications system (..by the amazing Jmattera) or with every Trav edition, but it is as close a workable compromise as is probably possible.
- If you have a better system and are reading this, please contact the current Traveller RPG Wiki administrator. We should all be open to change and improvement where it is warranted.
|Imperial Ship Classification|
|1.||Ship Mission Codes||SUPRACLASS||MISSION||Free Trader AKA Merchant|
|2.||Ship Type Codes||SUPERCLASS||TYPE||Type A class Free Trader|
|3.||Ship Class Codes||CLASS||CLASS||Beowulf class Free Trader|
|4.||Ship Model Codes||MODEL||TL & Model||TL-14 Beowulf Build
|5.||Ship Bloc Codes||LOT or BLOC||Named Ship||“The Lonesome Wolf” of ‘Bloc 312-1115d’
- INTERNAL LINK: Ship Mission Code (#1. Top Level)
- INTERNAL LINK: Ship Type Code (#2. Second Level)
- INTERNAL LINK: Ship Class Code (#3. Third and most common level)
Military Auxilaries (2019)
Notes - Research (2019)
Major ship classification systems compared from CT to WIKI.
|Letter Code Comparison|
|A||Auxiliary||Merchant Vessel||Trader||Auxiliary, Minor;
Secondary Modifier: Armored
|Trader||A-class Merchant Vessels (Tramps - Cargo & Low-volume Passengers)
|B||Battleship||Battleship||Boat, Beagle||Battleship, Battle, Primary, Capital, Dreadnought, Ship-of-the-Line;
Secondary Modifier: Beam
|Battleship||B-class Battleships||Mostly consistent.|
|D||Destroyer||Destroyer||Defender||Secondary Modifier: Monitor||Defender (SDB)||D-class Destroyers
|E||Escort||Escort||Corvette, Escort||Unused||Corvette, Escort||E-class Escorts
Secondary Modifier: Fast or Flag
|Fighter, Freighter, Frigate||F-class Fighters
|G||Commercial Vessel||Refinery Vessel||Corvette
|Unused||Industrial Vessel, Frigate||G-class Industrial Vessels (Commercial)
|H||Fuel Tanker||Hunter Vessel||Ortillery Ship||Unused||Ortillery Ship, Security Vessel||H-class Security Vessels||Somewhat consistent.
|I||Intruder Vessel||Intruder Vessel||Unused||Unused||Assault Transport, Intruder Vessel||I-class Combat Transports
|J||Intruder Vessel||Intruder Vessel||Prospector, Seeker||Unused||Prospector, Seeker||J-class Prospector Vessels
|K||Courier Vessel, Safari Ship||Courier Vessel, Safari Ship||Safari Ship, Expedition Ship||Secondary Modifier: Strike||Expedition Ship, Safari Ship||K-class Expedition Ships||Mostly consistent.|
|L||Lab Ship||Lab Ship||Lab Ship||Secondary Modifier: Lander||Lab Ship||L-class Science Vessels
|M||Merchant Vessel||Merchant Vessel||Liner||Secondary Modifier: Missile||Liner||M-class Merchant Vessels (Freighters - Bulk Freight)
|N||Unused||Ferry||Survey Ship, Monitor, Medical Ship||Unused||Hospital Ship||N-class Medical Ships
|O||Ordnance Vessel||Unused||Unused||Secondary Modifier: Orbital||Ortillery Vessel||O-class Ortillery Vessels
|P||Fighter||Planetoid Vessel||Corsair Vessel, Marauder, Patrol Ship, Picket Ship, Privateer,||Unused||Corsair Vessel, Patrol Ship, Fighter||P-class Corsair Vessels
|Q||Military Specialty, Decoy||Auxiliary, Decoy||Unused||Secondary Modifier: Quarantine (Obsolete)||Auxiliary, Decoy||Q-class Military Auxiliary/s
|R||Liner, Battle Rider||Liner, Raider Vessel||Raider Vessel, Merchant Vessel||Secondary Modifier: Rider||Merchant Vessel, Raider Vessel||R-class Merchant Vessels (Liners - Medium Cargo & Medium-volume Passengers)
|S||Scout Vessel||Scout Vessel||Scout Vessel, Courier, Messenger, Sentinel||Siege Engine;
Secondary Modifier: Slow
|Scout Vessel||S-class Scout Vessels
|T||Tenders, Transports||Tankers, Tenders, Transports||Tenders, Transports, Tugs, Assault Ship||Unused||Tankers & Transports||T-class Tankers & Transports (Bulk Trade Freight)
|U||Utility Craft||Tug||Packet Ship||Unused,||Utility Craft||U-class Utility Vessels & Utility Craft
|V||Carrier||Carrier||Destroyer||Carrier||Carrier||V-class Subcraft Carriers||Completely consistent.|
|W||Space Station (Orbital Complex)||Barge||Barge||Unused||Space Station, Barge||W-class Space Stations & Satellites & Barges (System Craft - Non-Interstellar)
|X||Unused||Express Ship||Express Ship||Unused||Communication Vessel, Tender||X-class Communication Vessels
|Y||Yacht||Yacht||Yacht||Unused||Yacht||Y-class Yachts (Private Craft)
|Z||Experimental Craft (Hybrid)||Experimental Craft||Unclassified Ship||Unused||Unclassified Ship, Experimental Craft||Z class Special Mission Ships||Mostly consistent.|
- It might ease some of the Class Code difficulties for T5/AotI if one remembers that the ACS (civilian, military and paramilitary) and BCS (largely military, with a few large civilian/commercial types) ship classification systems are largely independent of one another. Since ACS vs. BCS is clearly indicated by tonnage, an ACS and a BCS ship could potentially use the same code for different meanings, without significant ambiguity. The place where one would want to maintain a basic level of consistency would be among naval vessels across the ACS/BCS divide.
Thanks for your expert advice, Wayne.
Interstellar Trade Boundaries (2019)
- Pg. 25, 38-40 GT-Far Trader
- Cargo Types
- Wet Bulk
- Dry Bulk
- Cargo Types
- Pg. 53 GT-Far Trader
- Cargo (Non-bulk) vs. Freight (Bulk) vs. Passengers
- (Tramp vs. Trader) & (Freighter vs. Liner)
- Pg. 55 GT-Far Trader
- Bulk, Dry
- Bulk, Gas
- Bulk, Liquid
- Need to define these categories so everything can be consistent
- Breakbulk: Consisting of several individual small and different sized items, loads, or units.
- Breakbulk Cargo: Packaged but non-containerized cargo. Loose cement, grains, ores, etc., are termed bulk cargo, whereas cargo shipped as a unit (bags, bales, barrels, boxes, cartons, drums, pallets, sacks, vehicles, etc.) is termed break bulk.
- Bulk: Unpackaged, homogenous, dry or liquid goods, without mark or count and usually free-flowing, bought and sold by weight or volume, such as grains, oils, and ores.
- Cargo: Goods carried on a ship, aircraft, or motor vehicle.
- All articles, goods, materials, merchandise, or wares carried onboard an aircraft, ship, train, or truck, and for which an air waybill, or bill of lading, or other receipt is issued by the carrier. It includes livestock, but usually does not include bunkers (fuel for powering the vessel or vehicle), accompanying baggage, vessel or vehicle's equipment and spare parts, mail, and stores. Personnel carried onboard are classified as crew or passengers.
- Freight: Goods transported in bulk by truck, train, ship, or aircraft.
- 1. A charge paid for carriage or transportation of goods by air, land, or sea.
- 2. A colloquial term for freight charge. Goods may be transported on freight-prepaid or freight-collect basis: (1) If the freight is paid by the consignor (as under C&F and CIF terms) the goods remain the consignor's property until their delivery is taken by the consignee upon their arrival at the destination, and payment of the consignor's invoice. (2) If freight is paid by the consignee (as under FOB terms) the goods become the consignee's property when handed over to the carrier against a bill of lading.
- Container, Containerized: Stowed and shipped, and handled and delivered, as a unit load device (ULD).
- Unit load device (ULD): Standardized cargo container for air, land, or sea transportation.
Merchant Vessels now formally spread across A, M, R, and T-class with occasional support from others
|Merchant Vessel Letter Code Comparison|
|Class||Mission Class Codes||Indication/s (Mission)||Freight Volume||Remarks|
|A-class||Merchant Vessels (Tramps)||Non-Bulk Freight (Cargo & Low-volume Passengers)||Low||Military Auxiliaries now go to Q-class
|R-class||Merchant Vessels (Liners)||Non-Bulk Freight (Medium Cargo & Medium-volume Passengers)||Medium||R now a dedicated merchant code
|M-class||Merchant Vessels (Freighters)||Bulk Freight||High||No changes although most named liners go to R-class|
|T-class||Merchant Vessels (Tankers & Transports)||Bulk Freight||Very High||T-class are now dedicated transports and tankers
Line Combatants (Primary Combatants)
- B-class Battleship
- C-class Cruiser
- O-class Orty
- V-class Carrier
Escort Combatants (Secondary Combatants)
- D-class Destroyer
- E-class Escort
- F-class Fighter
- H-class Defender & Security
Military Auxiliary (Tertiary Combatants)
- I-class Combat Transport
- Q-class Combat Support
- S-class Scout
- U-class Utility
- X-class Commo
- Z-class Spec-Miss
Mercantile Commercial Ships
- A-class Merchant
- M-class Liner
- R-class Liner
- T-class Transport
Non-Mercantile Commercial Ships
- G-class Commercial Industrial
- J-class Prospectors
- P-class Corsair
- U-class Utility
- K-class Expedition
- L-class Research
- N-class Medical
- Y-class Private
- WO-class Space stations (Orbital Complexes)
- WS-class Satellites
- WB-class Barges
Ship Types Notes (2018)
I've been informed, though can't confirm, the book Agent of the Imperium has a new set of ship type codes. Because the wiki uses our own set of Ship type codes, Ship Hull Designations, Military Starship Types, and Civilian Starship Types.
Can someone post the list from the book to see what changes we would need to make to synchronize the two lists.
Yes, I will post some of my notes.
- We should also post at CotI and at FB.
Agent of the Imperium Notes (2017-19)
Imperial Navy Ship Classification per Agent
|Agent type||Agent Type Code||Wiki Type||Wiki type Code|
|Seige||S||SmallCraft||S 》 U or F or Q|
- Here the only real difference is the S (Seige vs Smallcraft).
1 - aka Auxiliary.
2 - aka Battleship, Capital Ship, Dreadnought, Primary, Ship-of-the-Line.
|Agent Mission||Agent Mission code||Wiki Mission (Primary Tasking)||Wiki Mission code|
|Armored||A||Heavy 》 Tramp Vessel||A|
|Fast||F||Frigate 》 Fighter||F|
|Strike||K||Courier 》 Expedition||K|
|Lander||L||Light 》 Lab||L|
|Missile||M||Missile 》 Freighter||M|
|Quarantine 4||Q||Decoy 》 Combat Support Ship||Q|
|Rider||R||Rider 》 Liner||R|
|Slow||S||Strike 》 Scout||S|
3 - Also "Battle", based upon footnote in annotated PDF version, p.28
4 - Early Imperium / Obsolete
- Extended Ship Classification System XSCS: "Where Primary Classification addresses Dreadnoughts and their brethren, the Extended Classification system is more comprehensive and includes a much wider range of ships. The system is too extensive to be addressed here." (Annotated PDF, p. 230)
AOTI Novel Ship List
ID-1/2/3: Type: Remarks: Page/s * BB Ikaniil BB (Capital) Beam Battleship - (Pgs. 9, 18) * BKF Kobokoon BKF (Capital) Strike Battleship, Flag - (Pgs. 29, 34 (per footnote in annotated PDF version, p.21)) * CB Stalwart CB (Capital) Battlecruiser, INS Stalwart. - (Pg. 38 (per footnote in annotated PDF version, p.28)) * ISS Talon ISS (Capital) Imperial Scout Service (Cruiser) - (Pgs. 45, 50) * BF Extreme BF (Capital) Battleship, Flag - (Pgs. 52, 56 (per footnote in annotated PDF version, p.39)) * AF Ukaammur AF (Non-capital) Fast Auxiliary/Fleet Corvette Ukaammur - (Pgs. 57, 60 (per footnote in annotated PDF version, p.44 - "AF. Auxiliary Fast. The code is potentially ambiguous: it could equally be interpreted as Auxiliary Flag or Auxiliary Fighter (both of which make little sense).")) * BB Courageous BB (Capital) Beam Battleship - (Pgs. 62- 63) * AF Kadalesh AF (Non-capital) [??] - (Pgs. 65, 67) * [Lioness Class] [??] (Capital) [??] - (Pg. 65) * BBF Courageous BBF (Capital) Beam Battleship, Flag - (Pgs. 67, 250 (per footnote in annotated PDF version, p.50)) * BB Inarik BB (Capital) Beam Battleship - (Pg. 84) * BKF Basiiri BKF (Capital) Strike Battleship, Flag - (Pg. 100 (per footnote in annotated PDF version, p.74)) * INS Argushii [AF?] TF-HA63 - (Pgs. 111, 122, 227-228 (TF = Fast Transport, per footnote in annotated PDF version, p.83)) * BMF Koliliss BMF (Capital) Missile Battleship, Flag - (Pg. 116-117, 119-120 (per footnote in annotated PDF version, p.87)) * BB Kokaasii BB (Capital) Beam Battleship - (Pg. 96-99: annotated PDF version). * [Yacht] ??? Marquis Pryden. - (Pg. x) * BK Lioness - (Pgs. 189-190, 200-201, 206, 211)
Hey Thomas, please note that my notes aren't 100% complete. I still need to review the rest of the book for this kind of detail.
Thank you, Wayne for upgrading the list.