Jump to navigation Jump to search
ECM is an acronym standing for Electronic Countermeasure.
- It is a type of Ship Equipment.
- It is part of Electronic Warfare
An electronic countermeasure (ECM) is a device designed to trick, deceive or overwhelm a sensor system in order to deny information to an enemy. Electronic countermeasures are frequently coupled with stealth technology and other passive defensive systems.
- A variety of ECM devices, capable of countering a range of sensors and detectors and grouped together into a single unit, are referred to as an ECM package.
- ECM may itself be defeated, overwhelmed or overcome by electronic counter-countermeasures (ECCM).
ECM may be used in both a Passive and an Active role.
- Passive ECM can give false sensor readings or help to mask signatures.
- Active ECM often takes the form of "jamming", or overwhelming an enemies sensors with signals and noise.
- Radio Jammers disrupt or block radio communications.
- RADAR Jammers disrupt or block RADAR.
History & Background (Dossier)
ECM is generally available from TL-6 onwards, becoming more powerful, more efficient and more compact as the technology improves.
References & Contributors (Sources)
This list of sources was used by the Traveller Wiki Editorial Team and individual contributors to compose this article. Copyrighted material is used under license from Far Future Enterprises or by permission of the author. The page history lists all of the contributions.
- MegaTraveller, Referee's Manual (Game Designers Workshop 1987)
- Traveller The New Era, Fire, Fusion, & Steel (Game Designers Workshop 1994)
- T5 Core Rules, Far Future Enterprises 2013
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science