|Scandia/Arcturus (Solomani Rim 2628)|
|Classic Era (1115)|
- It is a member of the Third Imperium in the Arcturus Subsector of Solomani Rim Sector in the Domain of Sol.
- This world has a nearby Imperial Naval Base, capable of handling warships.
- The local tech level is very high.
Scandia is a moderate-sized world (9,750 kilometers in diameter) with a thin but breathable atmosphere and a shallow sea flooding 80% of the world's surface. The sea is broken by three small continents and twenty extensive island groupings. Scandia has one small moon.
Scandia has two very divergent industries: gravitics and fishfarming. For centuries before the Rim War, Scandia had been an important center for the production of grav modules for use by vehicle manufacturers and shipyards. During the war, Scandia was a prime source of components for Solomani military equipment. Its manufacture and research facilities were (and still are) the largest employer on the planet and are responsible for the world's high tech level.
But the rest of the Scandia also has its uses. The sea is fertile and teems with fish; to exploit the sea, a technique known as fishfarming has evolved. Using high technology electronics and chemistry, fish are lured to some areas and repelled from others. Large populations of fish are managed with great efficiency to produce optimum levels of production for a minimum investment of time and energy. When a specific population reaches harvest levels, electronic fish lures and repellents corral them into gathering bays and then into large processing plants where they are reduced to protein meal. The protein meal is the prime component in a variety of staple foods for Scandia's population, while any excess is exported to other nearby worlds with high populations: Tewfik, Melchior, and even Kurland.
2628 Scandia (Imperial)
Starport: Class V - Naval Base.
Diameter: 6,400 miles (10,200 km). Gravity: 0.79g.
Atmosphere: Thin oxygen-nitrogen.
Population: 1.2 billion.
Control Level: 6.
Tech Level: 12.
World Trade Number: 6.
History & Background (Dossier)
The Imperium maintains military rule on Scandia to ensure stability and order. The strategic importance of Scandia as a gravitics component producer, as a net food exporter, and as a world very close to the border with the Solomani Confederation, makes it vulnerable to covert Solomani activity, and even to overt Solomani attack. In addition, the local population, even after a century of Imperial military rule, has distinct Solomani sympathies.
- The Imperium maintains a very large Naval Base with a large training establishment and a garrison of more than 100,000 troops.
- Scandia's population is 1.2 billion living under Imperial military rule at a restrictive law level that prohibits weapons possession outside one's residence.
- A military occupation force of more than 150,000 has enforced military rule since 1002, the end of the Solomani Rim War.