Dran (RD 1129) (world)
|Dran/Ea (Reaver's Deep 1129)|
|Classic Era (1115)|
|Primary||K9 V M5 V|
Dran (RD 1129) is a poor, nonindustrial world.
- As a nonindustrial world, it requires extensive imports of outside technology to maintain a modern, star-faring society. The need to import most manufactured and high technology goods drives the price of these goods up in the open market.
- This world has few prospects for economic development.
- This dangerous world is designated an Amber Zone with an environment, laws, customs, life forms, or other conditions make it dangerous to visitors.
- A Prison World, exile camp, or prison camp for criminals or other exiles is located upon this world in addition to other points of interest.
- It is a member of the Grand Duchy of Marlheim in the Ea Subsector of Reaver's Deep Sector.
Description (Astrography & Planetology)
Dran (RD 1129) is a small, poor, dry world with little to nothing to recommend it to an outside visitor.
Binary Solar System
Dran (RD 1129) Binary Star System Star Name Hierarchy Category Mass (Sol) Temp (K) Luminosity (Sol) Dran (RD 1129)
Primary Main Sequence 0.5052 2900 - 3700 0.048 Unit Diameter Min Distance Hab Zone Jump Shadow M-Drive Limit AU 0.00514 0.01817 0.17 - 0.28 0.514 5.14 Orbit # * * 0 1 6 Remarks None Star Name Hierarchy Category Mass (Sol) Temp (K) Luminosity (Sol) Dran (RD 1129)
Secondary Main Sequence 0.331 2000 - 2900 0.007 Unit Diameter Min Distance Hab Zone Jump Shadow M-Drive Limit AU 0.00333 0.00694 0.07 - 0.11 0.333 3.33 Orbit # * * * 1 5 Remarks None
History & Background (Dossier)
No information yet available.
In addition to 100,000 local inhabitants, the system hosts a Marlheim naval base and fuel refinery, over 100,000 Marlheim ground and system defense troops, and a penal colony housing tens of thousands more.
- While most of the locals (and occupiers) are concentrated in the capitol city (formerly named "Delvergap", now named "Installation D-10", there are a few small settlements - almost never more than a family or two - scattered in the "Sirge" (local term for "everyplace but the capitol"). Most are kept under the watchful eye of the Marlheim security police - although a precious few have evaded surveillance.
Mining is the main source of income on Dran; Dranian resources are exported entirely to Marlheim and Pendang to feed whatever industrial machine that the Duchy has.
Much of the planet - including the southern hemisphere - is intensely volcanic. The primary exception - a small, brackish "ocean" on the coast of which the capitol at "D-10" is found. The area is one of the few truly tectonically stable regions on the planet.
History: Takeover by Marlheim
To the government of the Grand Duchy of Marlheim, however, it is the first world to be "liberated" by the Marlheim military, in 936. Marlheim sought the metals in the system's asteroids - but even moreso sought to create and exploit "war fever" among the Marlheim populace. They spent years building up Dran as a mighty enemy, keeping war fever stirred up for decades, before and in 935 sent a force that outnumbered the local residents nearly 2:1.
- Dran had, in fact, fewer than 10,000 "troops" when fully mobilized; its "navy" was a small collection of TL9 antiques that were little more than Reaver ships.
- Nonetheless, the locals managed to kill thousands of troops as they landed, shooting down unescorted assault carriers as they dropped into the atmosphere in a badly-coordinated wave, and many more in an insurgency that lasted nearly a year and killed nearly half the Dranian population and over 100,000 Marlheim troops.
- The descendents of the survivors live, more or less, as indentured servants; the system serves as a mining colony and refueling base for Marlheim starships. It is strictly closed to non-Marlheim traffic - a ban that is enforced with violence if needed.
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|