WA-class Artificial Satellites are artificial bodies placed in orbit around fixed celestial objects (...stars, planets, moons, orbital complexes, etc.) in order to collect or disseminate information or serve other sophontic functions.
- This category covers smaller artificial satellites. The larger ones can be found at Space Station.
- Natural Satellites or moons can be found on pages by those names.
- The Supraclass designation is also known as Ship Mission, Ship Mission Code, Mission, or Ship Hull Designation.
- It is a starship supraclass.
- 1 Library Data Referral Tree
- 2 Description (Specifications)
- 3 History & Background (Dossier)
- 4 References & Contributors (Sources)
Library Data Referral Tree
- Starship User Types
- Advanced Ship Classifications
- Basic Ship Classifications
- Ships by Function
- Speed of Travel
Artificial Satellites: An artifical satellite is typically a device, a structure or more rarely a small body such as a planetoid placed in orbit around a world in order to act as a platform or a base, to collect information or to relay or send communications.
- Debris or wreckage may orbit a world and be classified as an artificial satellite.
- Satellite Communication Network
- Satellite Navigation Network
Strategy & Tactics (Doctrine)
Artificial satellites are an important part of any advanced technological sophont society and serve a vast myriad of roles under almost any imaginable function. They coordinate communication networks, spy satellites, defense nets, nuclear munitions, and much, much more.
Artificial Satellites typically serve the following roles:
- Armed Satellite (WAH)
- Artificial Satellite (WA) (Namesake)
- Attack Satellite (WAH)
- Automated Interdiction Satellite (WAI)
- Beacon (WAN)
- Commo Satellite (WAC)
- Commo Relay Station (WAC)
- Communications Satellite (WAC)
- Defense Satellite (WAH)
- Interdiction Satellite (WAI)
- Intelligence Satellite (WAS)
- Laser Satellite (WAH)
- Missile Platform (WAH)
- Missile Satellite (WAH)
- Navigation Satellite (WAN)
- Sensor Buoy (WAS)
- Spy Satellite (WAS)
- Weather Satellite (WAS)
- X-boat Relay Station (WAC)
- Utility Craft (U)
Supraclass Archetypal Roles
These vessels typically serve the following archetypal roles:
|W-class Artificial Satellite Supraclass Archetypes|
|Artificial Satellite||WA (Namesake)||4-C/D class Automated Interdiction Satellite||Artificial Satellites are sophont-made objects that occupy orbits around a world. Many sophont societies can achieve successful satellite launch and orbital launch by the TL:4-6 tech epoch. The first satellites tend to be science or spy satellites (...high priority military satellites), but by TL:7-9 they occupy every possible niche and function from worldwide communication networks to navigational aid systems.
|Communications Satellite||WAC||Comstar class Commo Satellite||None
|Defense Satellite||WAH||Sentinel class Missile Platform||None
|Interdiction Satellite||WAI||4-C/D class Automated Interdiction Satellite||None
|WAN||Sanctuary class Sensor Buoy||None
AKA Spy Satellite
|WAS||Sanctuary class Sensor Buoy||None
|NOTES: There is semantic overlap between many of the classes and codes. Some codes organize by mission or capability, others by size and tonnage, and yet others by other characteristics.|
No information yet available.
Selected Variant Types & Classes
Ship Summary List
Some of the most commonly used vessels in this role or these roles include:
|5 Representative Artificial Satellite (WA) Classes|
- Bob McWilliams. IISS Ship Files (Games Workshop, 1981), TBD.
- Jim Cunningham. High Passage 4 (FASA, 1982), 44-47.
- Marc Miller. Fighting Ships of the Shattered Imperium (Game Designers Workshop, 1990), TBD.
- Marc Miller. T5 Core Rules (Far Future Enterprises, 2013), TBD.
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Baron Ovka of Ziirkago/Kasear (Vland 1930) A878654-C
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science