The Octagon Society was an organization that provided errant spacefarers with assistance.
- Please see Travellers' Aid Society (TAS) for a related successor organization.
Society shelters were generally of an octagonal shape. Large hostels were established on major worlds, while smaller weather shelters were placed on frontier or unsettled worlds. The characteristic octagon-shaped buildings are still visible on various worlds, although none are still in use as shelters for distressed spacefarers.
History & Background (Dossier)
Established in 342, the Octagon Society was the first major distressed spacefarer assistance operation to appear in the Spinward Marches. The group thrived on public contributions and on some tax revenues for 150 years; then it collapsed in the late 400s when scandals emerged over the quality of shelter construction and the disposition of certain funds.
- The Octagon Society was dissolved in 499, and its assets were sold at auction.
- Many or, possibly, most of the services once provided by the Octagon Society have now been supplanted by the Travellers' Aid Society.
Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
The Octagon Society was located almost entirely in the Spinward Marches Sector.
World Listing: 1105
References & Contributors (Sources)
- Marc Miller. Twilight's Peak (Game Designers Workshop, 1980), TBD.
- Marc Miller. The Traveller Book (Game Designers Workshop, 1982), TBD.
- Marc Miller. Imperial Encyclopedia (Game Designers Workshop, 1987), TBD.
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science