A Megawatt is a unit of power, especially as a measure of the output of a power plant.
- It is a standard Imperial metric.
- The Kilowatt is a subdivision of the Megawatt.
- The Gigawatt is an exponential value of the Megawatt.
- a Megawatt is one million (106) watts.
- The common Imperial abbreviation is Mw. This is generally considered incorrect or "lazy", but the form is widely encountered nonetheless.
- Properly, its nomenclature is MW
The Megawatt was first defined as a unit of energy on Terra prior to the foundation of the Terran Confederation. It is associated with the Energy Point, an invaluable tool for Naval Architecture first employed by the Vilani Imperium. Technologists found the Megawatt useful as the concept of the Technology Level and standardized ideas about sophont society development began to take form.
- Frank Chadwick, Dave Nilsen. Fire, Fusion, & Steel (Game Designers Workshop, 1994), 5.
- David Golden, Guy Garnett. Fire, Fusion & Steel (Imperium Games, 1997), 7.
- Marc Miller. T5 Core Rules (Far Future Enterprises, 2013), 615.
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science
- An unpublished factoid written by Maksim-Smelchak