A mammallianoid creature is distinguished by a number of characteristics:
- It is endothermic (it produces heat within its body).
- It has an internal spinal column or an internal structure that is a close parallel.
- It possesses fur, hair, feathers, down, or some other structural layer as part of its body that helps to insulate it and retain heat.
- It gives birth to live young.
- It secretes nutrition for its offspring.
Specific Species Examples
- Asym AKA Kotch-cho-ba
- Chinmaya AKA Chin
- Humans, native to Terra.
- Krimm AKA Mindworm AKA Psijack
- Lamura Teg AKA Lamura
- Llyrnian AKA Demon
- Orca AKA Killer Whale
- Uplifted Ape
History & Background (Dossier)
Most biologists agree that a creature should exhibit at least three of the characteristics associated with mammals to qualify as a mammallianoid, though others set the limit at two. The term is necessarily generic: even some Terran species classified as mammals are relatively marginal in terms of meeting the necessary criteria.
It is relatively common for a creature to meet sufficient criteria to qualify as more than one classification of animal.
References & Contributors (Sources)
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science