Lias class Fleet Transport
|Lias Class Fleet Transport|
|Type: IA Assault Transport|
|Crew||27 (+479 troops)|
|Passengers||0 High/Med 4 Low|
|Cost|| MCr1,377.217 (base)|
MCr 1,101.774 (discounted)
|Ten in service|
Description / Specifications
The Fleet Transport is a military transport vessel that sees service within the Rimward Federation and among the rimward worlds of the Distant Fringe. It is classified as an Assault Transport and is constructed as a long-range design. Similar designs have been in use from the time the Distant Fringe was first settled.
- The vessel is a TL 10 design.
The Fleet Transport is constructed using a 3000 dTon hull built in a wedge configuration. The hull is fully streamlined: the ship is equipped with fuel scoops.
- Individual sections of the ship are divided by bulkhead walls. Sections of the ship can be isolated in the event of an emergency.
- The hull includes internal grav plates and inertial compensators. All accessible sections of the hull have life support.
The vessel mounts a DeVoss-type jump-1 drive, a maneuver-1 drive, and a power plant 1, giving performance of jump-1 and 1G acceleration. The ship has an agility rating of 0 and an emergency agility of 1. There is fuel tankage of 630 dTons, sufficient for two jump-1s and giving the power plant four weeks duration. The vessel is fitted with a fuel purification plant.
- The engineering section has a main control room.
- The jump drive utilises a lanthanum hull grid.
- The jump drive is fitted with a jump governor.
Adjacent to the bridge is a computer model/4 fib: the vessel carries an additional backup computer model/4 fib. There are 239 staterooms and 4 low berths, primarily used to transport severely wounded personnel or prisoners. No space is allocated for cargo storage. Double occupancy accommodations are required for all except the command crew.
- The vessel is fitted with communications equipment, a sensor array, full ECM, and an avionics suite.
The Fleet Transport requires 27 crew: 11x command, 3x engineering, 6x gunnery, 1x flight, and 6x service. There are sufficient staterooms to transport up to 479 troops.
The ship is fitted with 30 turrets. These are grouped into:
- 1x beam laser battery, consisting of 8 linked triple turrets
- 1x missile battery, consisting of 10 linked triple turrets
- 3x sandcaster batteries, each consisting of 4 linked triple turrets
The ship carries a 2-ton air-raft, housed in a dedicated hanger.
The basic cost of the vessel, complete with an air-raft, is MCr1,377.217.
- The design is exclusive to the armed forces of the Rimward Federation. Architectural plans for privately constructed vessels must be drawn up, at a cost of MCr13.772.
- If multiple examples of the design are ordered all of the ships in the production run qualify for a 20% discount, which reduces the price per unit to MCr1,101.774.
History / Background
Lias Class Fleet Transports are designed and built at Dal Hallen for the Rimward Federation Navy. Their jump 1 drives restrict their operational effectiveness: this is compensated for by their long-range design, with enough onboard fuel for two consecutive jumps.
- They are specifically designed as personnel transports and are optimized to carry as many troops as will fit aboard. They can carry a full Federation battalion of 479 troops.
|This article has Metadata|
References & Contributors / Sources
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- CT Book 5 "High Guard", GDW, 1980.
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis), Captain, and Lead Naval Architect Ronald B. Kline, Jr. of the Imperial Navy
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science