The Distant Fringe is a region of space abount 600 parsecs spinward-rimward of Terra, officially settled in 2255AD by humans fleeing the destruction of Terra at the hands of the Vilani Imperium. It is part of a vast region of largely unexplored space called the Empty Stars.
- That is the premise that veteran Traveller writer Alegoric tackled when he created his Distant Fringe setting.
Description / Specifications
The rimward border of the Distant Fringe lies on the edge of the Great Void, a huge interstellar rift, and is surrounded on its spinward, coreward and trailing sides by areas of low stellar density called the Moat Rifts. Beyond the Moat Rifts are the Empty Stars, a truly vast wilderness.
- The greater Distant Fringe region includes 12 sectors, and contains 1361 separate star systems.
- The Distant Fringe proper occupies the Demon Cluster, a large grouping of stars within the rimward part of the Empty Stars. It covers the whole of both Halcyon Sector and Far Home Sector, and parts of Divide Sector, Gulf Sector, Shadow Rift Sector, Course Sector, and Bourne Sector.
The Demon's Eye, a blue supergiant star, lies at the center of Far Home Sector and can be clearly seen from every world across both the Distant Fringe and the Empty Stars. Why the Terrans, seeking to hide from their Vilani pursuers, should choose to settle a region with such a bright beacon at its center is something of a mystery. Some hold that it proves that the Last Armada was at the very limit of its endurance and was forced to halt, while others contend that the location was deliberately chosen in order to give stragglers somewhere to aim towards.
The total population of the Distant Fringe is around 127.1 billion sophonts: there are approximately 91.2 billion humans descended from Terran refugees who fled the Destruction of Terra at the hands of the Vilani Imperium, and approximately 35.9 billion members of native sophont species.
The Distant Fringe has a general maximum technological level of TL 12.
- It is more advanced in some areas (specifically computers and robotics) but is more backward in others (such as Space Tech).
- Jump Technology: Jump drive technology within the Distant Fringe is limited to Jump-2, utilising the DeVoss Drive.
Worlds & Sectors / Astrography
This broad Astrographic region contains the following sectors:
- Abyss Sector
- Bourne Sector
- Chasm Sector
- Course Sector
- Deep Sector
- Divide Sector
- Extent Sector
- Fallow Sector
- Far Home Sector
- Gulf Sector
- Halcyon Sector
- Shadow Rift Sector
References & Contributors / Sources
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science