Brutus class Ship Transporter
|Brutus class Ship Transporter|
Distant Fringe vessel.
|Type: TV Ship Transporter|
|Canon||No. Unpublished, non-canon fan design.|
|Cargo|| 195 dTons|
Ship Capacity 10,000 Tons
|Cost|| MCr11,383.090 (base)|
|Passengers||608 High/Med 0 Low|
|Reference||Fan: Ade Alagoric Stewart|
|Starships are designed with the Classic Traveller format, using High Guard.|
- It is a military ship and a Ship Transporter.
- Please also see AAB article: Ships of the Distant Fringe.
This is a generic class of military vessel.
The Military Ship Transporter is a large Tender encountered within the Distant Fringe region. It is classified as a Ship Tender and is constructed as a long-range design. Similar designs have been in use from the time the Distant Fringe was first settled.
- The vessel is a TL-11 design.
Basic Ship Characteristics
Following the Imperial Navy and IISS Universal Ship Profile and data, additional information is presented in the format shown here. The small craft factor indicates the number of squadrons (...of ten subcraft) carried on the ship. Tonnage on the universal ship profile is shown in kilotons (...thousands of tons) where necessary. 
|Basic Ship Characteristics |
|1.||Tonnage||The Ship Transporter is constructed using a 30,000 dTon hull built in a dispersed structure configuration. The hull is unstreamlined and has no capability to perform atmospheric operations.|
|2.||Crew|| Total Crew Complement: 169
|3.||Performance||The vessel mounts a DeVoss-type Jump-2 drive, a Maneuver-1 drive, and a Power Plant-2, giving performance of Jump-2, 1-G acceleration, and producing 600 Energy Points. The ship has an agility rating of 0 and an emergency agility of 1. The internal fuel tankage is sufficient for two consecutive Jump-2s and gives the power plant 6 weeks duration.|
|4.||Electronics||Adjacent to the bridge is a Model/4 Computer: the vessel has a backup Model/4 Computer.|
|5.||Hardpoints|| x300 hardpoints.
|6.||Armament||The normal weapons fit-out for a Ship Transporter is:|
|7.||Defenses||The hull is unarmored.|
|8.||Craft|| Flight Section
The subcraft are housed in dedicated interior hangers located at strategic points around the vessel: the hangers can be sealed and have a total volume of 165 dTons. Note that the Lifeboats are sufficient only for the Transporter's crew, not any passengers that it carries.
|9.||Fuel Treatment||The vessel has internal fuel tankage of 12,900 dTons.|
|10.||Cost||The basic cost of the vessel, complete with its complement of subcraft, is MCr11,383.090|
|11.||Construction Time|| 167 weeks (42 months) as standard.
|12.||Comments||Standard cargo capacity amounts to 195 dTons of internal (protected) volume.|
History & Background (Dossier)
- The commercial variant of this design is the Civilian Ship Transporter.
The Military Ship Transporter is capable of carrying "overburden" cargoes, mounted externally, and with a maximum payload volume not exceeding 30,000 dTons. The major limiting factor on overburdening a vessel is the capability of the ship's model/4 computer. If the total displacement tonnage of the vessel, including its overburden cargo, is 50,000 dTons or more, the computer cannot perform the calculations necessary to initiate a jump transition.
- The overburden payload increases the ship's displacement tonnage – to an upper limit of 50,000 dTons – but any degree of overburdening reduces its performance to jump-1 and 0.5G acceleration.
- The payload must be fully contained within the jump bubble.
- The practice of overburdening a ship places extreme stresses and strains on the internal equipment and dramatically increases the chances of a catastrophic failure.
Class Naming Practice/s & Peculiarities
Different examples of the design are known by many different names but all have very similar performance characteristics and capabilities.
Selected Variant Types & Classes
- Type TBD class Ship Tender
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article has Metadata|
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Marc Miller, Frank Chadwick, John Harshman. High Guard (Game Designers Workshop, 1980), 20-37. (Design Sequence Used)
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science