The Bioscanner sniffer scans for evidence of biological/metabolic activity in the area.
- It is a highly advanced combination sampler/analyzer, a sensory aid.
- Bioscanners rely on accurate metrics to quantify their readings and data.
The TL–15 sniffer is a breakthrough in molecular analysis. The device provides both improved analysis speed and a cheaper price than sniffers of TL–14 or less. Not only is the bioscanner useful for biological studies, but it also helps with regular chemical analysis. (A cheaper and smaller Tech Level 15 chemical analyzer is available, but it is not very useful for biological scanning)
The portable Tech Level-15 unit listed here incorporates both analyzer and collector into one. It has two modes and corresponding equipment: one mode for mass sampling of atmospheric content and the other for minute sampling.
The evidence of biological activity must be within short range of the scanner, for anything beyond short range is undetectable. The bioscanner helps a user to recognize or categorize evidence of familiar and unfamiliar organisms, which allows ecological classification, determination of potential hazards to other life forms, and estimation of potential uses (form of food, commercially valuable).
- Marc Miller. Imperial Encyclopedia (Game Designers Workshop, 1987), 64.
- Joe Fugate, J. Andrew Keith, Gary L. Thomas. World Builder's Handbook (Digest Group Publications, 1989), 24.
- Greg Porter. Central Supply Catalog (Imperium Games, 1996), 22,33.
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science