Argushiigi Admegulasha Bilanidin
The Argushiigi Admegulasha Bilanidin, or the AAB, is perhaps the most respected scientific and research body in Charted Space.
- A literal translation of the name is "Vilani Repository of All Knowledge".
- It is the Galactic Encyclopedia of Charted Space.
- The IISS classifies any system or world with a major AAB facility as a code Ab or "Data Repository."
- 1 Description (Specifications)
- 2 History & Background (Dossier)
- 3 Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
- 4 References & Contributors (Sources)
- The AAB is a privately-funded institution although it has been known to receive Imperial grants from time to time. However, the majority of the AAB's funding comes from private donors, the sales of academic materials, and tuition fees from the University of Kasiiga.
The vast stockpile of information to be found here is far beyond that available anywhere else in the Imperium, and thus the AAB has become a sort of 'clearing house' for new inventions and patents.
- Not only does the AAB collect samples, specimens and recorded materials from all over charted space, it also publishes an abridged fifteen-holocrystal encyclopedia set of its extensive data files. Known simply as "The Encyclopedia," the set contains the equivalent of 7,500 fully illustrated volumes, yet its holocrystal can easily fit into a large pocket.
Although the AAB sponsors very few outside research programs, it maintains a vast network of laboratories on Vland. Due to the often conservative nature of the AAB, researchers who find employment here are likely to be investigating already existing phenomena, rather than breaking new scientific ground. Its giant database is freely available to scholars and researchers who come to Vland.
- The personnel and resources of the AAB also form the backbone of the faculty of the University of Kasiiga. The AAB additionally produces a tremendous quantity of academic materials for the University of Kasiiga, which form much of the content of interstellar university texts throughout charted space.
Over time, a governing board calling itself the "Trustees" formed to oversee the many tasks associated with acquiring, storing, and maintaining recorded knowledge from all worlds within Charted Space. The "Trustees" set up a system by which agents would roam the space lanes acquiring records, or copies of them where acquiring the originals was impossible, and transporting them back to the AAB.
Well-known Trustees: Not surprisingly, several Vilani families are "Trustees" on the Governing Board, including members representing the:
AAB World Branches
Throughout the First and Second Imperiums, the AAB maintained branch locations on most Imperial worlds. These branches had current copies of the AAB database as well as original copies of locally produced works.
- The Long Night destroyed this library system, although some individual branches, as well as the AAB itself, survived into the present-day Third Imperium.
Active AAB World Branches (1116)
- Vland - AAB and University of Kasiiga headquarters located in the city of Ishimaga.
- Gashema - First AAB and University of Kasiiga branch that serves as a full back-up repository.
- Shea - Shea's capital (Urshiiglii) holds one of the largest MemClip libraries in all the Imperium - an AAB branch. The University of Kasiiga branch on Shea is a separate city unto itself near Urshiiglii.
- Shalam - The AAB Branch on Shalam is a repository and research laboratory dedicated to the study of the ancient Memory Alpha artifact. There is no University of Kasiiga branch on Shalam.
AAB Standard Library Data Entry Layout
A basic quality level AAB Library Data articles includes the following features:
- 1. Synopsis Blurb
- 2. Description (Specifications) 2-POINT HEADER
- 2a. Descriptive blurb
- 3. History & Background (Dossier) 2-POINT HEADER
- 3a. Dossier blurb
- 4. References & Contributors (Sources) 2-POINT HEADER
- 4a. Citations & Contributors
- 4b. Organization (Category) Tags
- 4c. Library Template Tags
These features have been standardized since the days of the Ziru Sirka. Every successive Imperium has adopted them in various forms.
Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
- Core Sector
- Dagudashaag Sector
- Lishun Sector
- Vland Sector
- Vland Subsector
- Vland System
- Argushiigi Admegulasha Bilanidin established a branch on Gashema during the First Imperium as a back-up for the holdings on Vland. The Argushiigi Admegulasha Bilanidin branch on Gashema, therefore, conducts no original research, but is an alternate, back-up repository designed to ensure that should a catastrophe occur on Vland the record and knowledge of the Argushiigi Admegulasha Bilanidin would not be lost.
- Vland Subsector
World Listing: 1105
References & Contributors (Sources)
- MegaTraveller Imperial Encyclopedia
- MegaTraveller Alien - Vilani & Vargr
- Periodical: The Travellers' Digest 05
- Periodical: Challenge 29
- Marc Miller's Traveller Milieu 0
- Marc Miller's Traveller T4 First Survey
- GURPS Traveller
- Mongoose Traveller: Library Data, Mongoose, 2011, Ted Chang; Editor
- EXTERNAL LINK: Argushiigi Admegulasha Bilanidin
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science