User talk:Ensign Phillips
Welcome. Happy to have you. Please write any of the moderators including myself if we can help you get started.
Thank you for the warm welcome! I do have a question. I am very interested in the concept of Mains, Traces and Clusters. I know it is an obscure topic but I always find it fascinating to look at the Imperium from the perspective of trade, commerce and colonization. Mains assist me in doing that. I am slowly working my way through the Daibei Sector cataloging the various mains, traces and clusters at a subsector level (I have always loved the idea of the Sons of Craig from Traveller: TNE so I have a soft spot for Daibei).
I am using information obtained only from the Traveller Map or the Wiki. While I love the Wiki and peruse it often I am computer illiterate when it comes to coding the information for entry on the Wiki. I also want to insure I am entering the data correctly so I do not muck up the entry and make more work for yourself and the other moderators correcting my mistakes. I am currently storing my data in a Word document. I would love to contribute and my question is; is this something that would be helpful to work on and enter?
FYI I am keeping the data VERY general to avoid any non-canon entries (I am naming the main/trace/cluster based on a feature or world in the subsector per information in the Wiki. I am providing the total number of worlds and their names by each subsector they lie in on the main/trace/cluster. I am listing the highest and lowest population world on the main/trace/cluster and finally listing all worlds on the main et al in alphabetical order. Please let me know if this would be of interest to you and again many thanks for the warm welcome.
- - Ensign Phillips (talk)
- You are in luck as you are not the only person with an interest in Mains, clusters, and traces. Please read Forum:Astrography - Mains... and such, part of the discussion of both the ideas behind and technical discussion about working on your idea. You may also want to put a note on User talk:Ssteve as the person leading the effort.
- There are three pieces of advice for working with the wiki. First is to read the source of several pages and use the "Show Preview" option. You should be able to see the relationship between the formatting and the results in the page.
- Second would be to set up a sandbox page like User: Ensign Phillips/sandbox and simply try things and see how they come out. Be bold and experiment.
- Finally, keep in mind the rest of the Traveller Wiki community can, and will, help with the pages as you enter information. If you don't get the formatting, layout, templates, and tables exactly correct, please ask for assistance on the article talk page, and we'll point you in the right direction.
I'm glad that Tjoneslo. He and I share most of the admin duties.
- Let's chat over at CotI. I have ideas.
- We'll help you with any coding and you'll learn as you do it.
- It made me chuckle when you brought up your interest in Mains, Traces and Clusters. They were one of the biggest reasons I came to the wiki and started pulling the story together. The early sector and subsector pages from about 2015 forward were mostly my attempts to track that stuff.
- We could definitely use help tracking the worlds in each formation. Please.
- Again, welcome!