The Imperial Army serves as the planetary fighting forces for the Imperium.
- Its soldiers deal with actions, battles, and campaigns on or near a planet's surface.
- Collective term for the Unified Armies of the Imperium.
- Imperial Navy (IN)
- Imperial Army (IA)
- Imperial Interstellar Scout Service (IISS)
- 1 Description (Specifications)
- 2 History & Background (Dossier)
- 3 Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
- 4 References & Contributors (Sources)
The Unified Armies of the Imperium is built upon the regimental system, in which each sufficiently populous Imperial world within a subsector raises a regiment (typically of three to five battalions) from its own planetary defense force to be equipped and trained to Imperial standards. The battalions of these regiments are then deployed to the various brigades of the Imperial Army as needed, which are in turn organized into Imperial Army divisions. Imperial Army organization typically extends to the subsector level, and is under the ultimate authority of the local Subsector Duke, who generally appoints a Subsector Marshal to oversee its operations within his demesne. Large scale operations (as are typical during wartime) are overseen by the Sector Grand Marshal who is generally appointed by the presiding Sector Duke.
No information yet available.
Doctrine & Strategy (Operations)
No information yet available.
Rank & Grade (Hierarchy)
|Senior Army Officer Ranks|
|O12 » Grand Marshal (Sector Marshal)|
|O11 » Vice-Marshal (Subsector Marshal)|
|O1-O10 » [See Specific Force-Command Ranks Tables]
The upper level organizational ranks and grades used by this force are included in the table to the right.
As the Imperial Army is subdivided into three distinct force-commands, each of which with its own unique set of service-ranks, only the senior-most ranks overseeing all of the branch services are included here. An Army Vice-Marshal oversees all Imperial Army operations (of all branches) within his/her/its associated subsector, reporting to both the local Subsector Duke and the Sector Grand Marshal. The Grand Marshal oversees all Army Operations within his/her/its associated sector, reporting directly to the Sector Duke.
As the early Imperial Army grew in size due to the ongoing Imperial acquisition of new worlds and territories, it became apparent early on that the Army would soon be dealing with very large unit numbers and an immense organizational structure unless something were done to reorganize the system. In the year 123, the High Command of the Imperial Army instituted a new organizational structure known as the regimental system. Under this new system, the Imperial Army became decentralized, with the local army of each world raising a number of battalions or specific regiments for service with the Imperial Army at the subsector level to be used for off-world deployment.
The Imperial Army is divided into three major force commands:
- Ground Force Command (GFC - the Army's land forces).
- Close Orbit and Airspace Control Command (COACC - the Army's air and near-orbit forces, or "aerospace force").
- Nautical Force Command (NFC - the Army's sea forces, called the "wet navy" to distinguish it from the Imperial Navy).
Additionally, individual member worlds maintain their own local defense forces, from which certain regiments are raised and trained to Imperial standards and deployed in order to form the Unified Armies of the Imperium:
Grand Marshal of the Unified Armies of the Imperium: The highest appointment in the Imperial Army. The Imperial Grand Marshal's job is entirely political and involves representing the Unified Armies at Court and advising both the Moot and the Emperor. The Grand Marshal of the Unified Armies of the Imperium normally holds a minimum noble title of Viscount.
Selected Vehicle Classes
Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
This force primarily operates in the following areas:
World Listing: 1105
- Marc Miller. Signal GK (Game Designers Workshop, 1984), 8.
- Lester Smith. Milieu 0 (Imperium Games, 1996), TBD.
- GURPS Traveller: Ground Forces
- GURPS Traveller: Star Mercs
- GURPS Traveller: Nobles
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author, Artist & Contributor Bleddyn Wilson
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science