|| G8.5 V
|| Main Sequence
|| 0.52 LSol
|| 5345° K
||Tau2 Ceti (?)
The star Tau Ceti (otherwise known as Durre Menthor) is an older low-metallicity yellow-orange main sequence star of spectral type G8.5.
- A dim optical companion (Tau2) near Tau Ceti has been observed. It may be gravitationally bound, but is more likely to be a coincidental near star.
Tau Ceti's habitable zone is located at a radius of approximately 0.55–1.16AU.
- There is approximately ten times as much dust surrounding Tau Ceti as is present in the Sol System.
- Because of this debris disk, planets orbiting Tau Ceti experience far more impact events than Terra.
- A "companion star" resides nearby the Tau Ceti system. If a real gravitationally-bound companion (which is uncertain), Tau2 is a low mass pinkish-orange M-dwarf (cooler than Proxima Centauri) that lies ~325AU from Tau1 and takes ~6000 years to orbit.
The Tau Ceti star system is approximately 3.7pc from Terra, and is located in a Spinrimward/Rimward direction from Terra at bearing 173.1o Galactic Longitude and -73.4o South Galactic Latitude.
- The nearest neighbor of the Tau Ceti system is Luyten 726-8, which lies only 0.88 pc away within the same hexgrid.
History & Background (Dossier)
Tau Ceti is the primary star of the world Iilike/Sol (Solomani Rim 1429).
References & Contributors (Sources)